Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When you add clips to a project can you then delete the clips? I'm trying to free up some space on my full hard drive. Thanks.

When you add clips to a project can you then delete the clips? I'm trying to free up some space on my full hard drive. Thanks.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:21 PM

Not while you are still editing the project. When you have finished the project and shared it and are sure you don't want to do any further editing you can delete the whole project.

If you are going to do a significant amount of iMovie editing you really need to put your libray(ies) on a large external hard drive. Another thing you can do is to split your work between different libraries and move the ones you are not currently using on a removable drive.

Geoff.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 1:21 PM in response to Norascott

Not while you are still editing the project. When you have finished the project and shared it and are sure you don't want to do any further editing you can delete the whole project.

If you are going to do a significant amount of iMovie editing you really need to put your libray(ies) on a large external hard drive. Another thing you can do is to split your work between different libraries and move the ones you are not currently using on a removable drive.

Geoff.

May 2, 2016 1:29 PM in response to GeeD

Thanks very much Geoff. follow up dumb question: what do you mean I can delete the project after it's been shared? Shared how? I want to retain a copy of all my home videos. do you mean I should save the project to an external drive and then delete from computer? Really appreciate your help. Movies are confusing to me. They seem to be stored in a million different places And take up so much room.

May 2, 2016 1:55 PM in response to Norascott

When an iMovie project is being edited you are only creating a series of instructions telling iMovie what to do with the original clips, photos, audio tracks etc. when you share / export / render (different words for the same thing) the contents of the project timeline to produce a single self-standing video file.

Once you have created this video file it is independent from iMovie and doesn't depend on the iMovie project project contents any more so you can delete the project unless you want to use its contents again in the future to create a different or updated movie. Final video files are more compressed than the project contents so takes up much less space. However the final video file is only good for playing and not for editing.

To save space I would recommend using multiple libraries and archiving offline those that no longer contain projects that you are still editing or events that are required by current projects. As a minimum I would always keep an offline backup of your original clips and still photos.

Geoff.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.