Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic not recognized by itunes

Just last week, my itunes on one PC stopped recognizing my ipod Classic 160G. I have tried every possible solution i could find on the internet, including replacing cables, restarting ipod, reinstalling drivers, uninstalling & reinstalling itunes (many times). Nothing has worked. This laptop is a Lenovo T540P Thinkpad running Windows 7. When I plug it into my other laptop (older Toshiba also running Win7), it recognizes it just fine. But the Lenovo won't.

When i plug in the ipod, it will launch itunes and appears to be syncing, but always stops short of recognizing the ipod in itunes. It is recognized in Windows everywhere I know to look. And, everything else seems works perfectly fine. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this?

FYI - my ipod is not synced to my library simply because I have too many songs and loading them all into my itunes library makes itunes unusable. I manage the playlists and songs manually.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:39 AM

7 replies

May 2, 2016 4:46 PM in response to JasonS iPod User

If you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, you may not have completely uninstalled iTunes and related software components. This Apple document describes all components of an iTunes installation, the precise order to uninstall them, and steps to confirm everything is removed

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

After complete removing iTunes, install the latest version of iTunes

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

May 2, 2016 7:32 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I had uninstalled all of those components before, but not in that exact order. So, I followed the steps you sent and now when I plug in my iPod, it launches iTunes and before the iPod can be recognized, I get an message stating "iTunes has stopped working". I get two options, "Check online for a solution and close the program" or "Close the program". I can also expan a window that gives information on problem detIails.

I repeated all the deletion & reinstallation steps and iTunes appears to be stable now, but it still won't recognize my iPod.

As a point of correction, I had forgot that on my Toshiba, I had recently upgraded to Windows 10. The iPod is still recognized perfectly on that machine.

May 3, 2016 1:40 PM in response to JasonS iPod User

Since the iPod works with the Toshiba, it appears to be working fine. Are you using the same USB docking cable when connecting to the PC with the problem?

As a test, shut down the Windows 7 PC and disconnect all USB devices. Connect its power adapter so that it's not running on battery power. Do this to Reset (restart) the iPod

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support (see section iPod with a click wheel)

Start up computer, run iTunes, and connect iPod to a direct USB port on the PC, by itself. If that does not help, you can also try connecting the iPod after putting it in Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

If iTunes picks it up in Disk Mode, it may prompt you to do a Restore on the iPod. A Restore erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings.

May 3, 2016 4:08 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

WWell, apparently I spoke too somone yesterday. The iTunes instal is not stable. Everytime I start the program, all of the cloud music in my library is greeted out. iTunes appears to be connecting to the Internet and as soon as the cloud music turns black and is accessible in iTunes, it crashes just like it did yesterday.

Im about ready to burn the thing.

May 3, 2016 4:50 PM in response to JasonS iPod User

FYI - Songs that are being accessed from iCloud will not sync to your iPod. Songs need to be stored locally on the computer's drive to sync.

But the first step is to get iTunes to run without crashing. I'm a Mac user, so trouble-shooting why iTunes crashes with Windows (for me) is mostly limited to that document about completely removing iTunes and reinstalling iTunes. You may want to post a new topic question in the forum category for iTunes for Windows

iTunes for Windows

Or you can use your iPod with the Toshiba PC, at least until you fix the problem on the Windows 7 PC.

May 4, 2016 8:28 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I'm not really sure what to do.

Today, itunes appears to be stable. it has not crashed once. Yesterday, I couldn't get it to stay up to save my life. The only difference that i can think of is that I am on a different wifi network.

I have tried the recommendation of putting the ipod into disk mode. Initially, there was no difference in the result. So... I thought I would unplug the USB cable and try a different USB port. As I was wiggling the USB to pull it out, itunes suddenly recognized the ipod and flashed up the message stating that the ipod appears to be corrupted and that I needed to restore it. Unfortunately, this flashed up just as I was in the motion of unplugging it. And I have repeated the steps multiple times in all of the ports and can not duplicate this. Now, itunes will not recognize the ipod even in disc mode. As another point of data, my iphone 6 is recognized with no trouble at all.

I can manage the ipod on my other PC. I was hopeful to get this working again because I like to listen to music while at work and occasionally like to move songs in and out of playlists while doing that.

iPod Classic not recognized by itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.