Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import pictures from external drive to iPad Pro

Hello i just recently got the new iPad pro 256 and i would love to import there my old iPhoto library that has over 116 GBs of pictures however, to make it more complicated - i cant do it through my Mac becuase i have just 49 GBs free on drive. So is there any other way how to put them there? User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thank you very much for help!!!

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3, null

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:59 PM

You may want to consider something like this

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC531AM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

But the iPad is probably not the best storage solution for images - it is advisable to put those in a renewable cloud solution like Google Photos or Upthere.com

10 replies

May 2, 2016 5:34 PM in response to Asturvidor

You cannot import the photo library file from your Mac to your iPad. Photos on your Mac can be synced manually to your iPad by following the steps below under "Sync your photos manually with iTunes" or automatically by using iCloud Photo Library. Please be aware of the ramifications of iCloud P L on the second link.

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all your devices - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

BTW, I agree with the comments by MichelPM. I always keep my valuable photos on a computer's HD and then I backup the computer to an external HD to be sure.

May 2, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Asturvidor

If your iPhoto library is on an external drive,

To preserve your original iphoto library, you could make a duplicate copy of your current iPhoto library, then Option key Click on the iPhoto App icon and when iPhoto asks to select an iPhoto library, pick the duplicate library and let iPhoto auto set up the new library and then connect up your iPad to your Mac and sync your images from this duplicate iPhoto library to your iPad using iTunes and sync up your images from iPhoto.

Should not be any issues with storage size if your iPhoto library is, currently, on an external hard drive.

May 3, 2016 3:24 PM in response to Asturvidor

Make a duplicate copy of your iPhoto library on the external drive.

Launch iPhoto with Option key held down

iPhoto will ask you which iPhoto Library you want to open. Pick the library you duplicated on the external drive.

Wait for iPhoto to process the new library.

Then, connect iPad to your computer and use iTunes to sync the new iPhoto library of images to your iPad.

Good Luck!

Dec 18, 2016 6:39 AM in response to MichelPM

My iPHoto library on my external drive is 220gb... so i only want a few folders synced with my phone. When i restart photos with the option key held down, it recognizes that library and seems to make it "primary". However, when i open itunes and click "Sync Photos"; "Selected Albums", it still only sees the albums in the library on the internal SSD, not the .photolibrary library on my external drive... odd... seems itunes can only see whats on the internal drive... any help or suggestions welcome. i can sync with my old laptop for now, but would love to find a solution for this.

How to import pictures from external drive to iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.