Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Repeatedly Freezing Entire Computer/s

Has this been happening to anyone else? It started happening maybe six months ago on my ancient 2007 iMac and I just assumed it was because the computer was so old. But now it is happening to my 2015 Macbook Air as well.

I use Chrome or Firefox for months and not a single instance of this. I open Safari for one day and within hours it will freeze the entire computer and have to be force restarted (hold the power button until it shuts off). And it will repeatedly do that until I give up and go back to Chrome or Firefox.

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:22 AM

Hi..

Since this is happening on Safari on both Macs, restart your internet modem and Wi-Fi router if you use one to see if that makes a difference.

If not, a Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple  menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try Safari on both Macs.

If that doesn't help, you may have installed the same third party Safari extension or plug-in on both Macs that's causing a conflict. It's easy to troubleshoot.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Uninstall one extension then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

About Safe Mode

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 11:22 AM in response to alanchrishughes

Hi..

Since this is happening on Safari on both Macs, restart your internet modem and Wi-Fi router if you use one to see if that makes a difference.

If not, a Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple  menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try Safari on both Macs.

If that doesn't help, you may have installed the same third party Safari extension or plug-in on both Macs that's causing a conflict. It's easy to troubleshoot.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Uninstall one extension then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

About Safe Mode

May 9, 2016 5:32 AM in response to alanchrishughes

"2007 iMac and I just assumed it was because the computer was so old. But now it is happening to my 2015 Macbook Air as well."

You said it's happening on both Macs ?? Not just the 2007.

Which OS X is installed on the 2007?

If you aren't sure, click your Apple  top left in your screen..

From the drop down menu click: About This Mac

Which version do you see?

May 9, 2016 5:48 AM in response to alanchrishughes

I had this problem last week on imac. When it crashed Mackeeper helped me remove a block & restore normal service but I keep being asked to change to El Capitan. I've read that a lot of folks have trouble with EC. I love Safari but it is "unsupported" and not secure it says every time I use it.

Can this be fixed? Do I have to upgrade to EC?

May 9, 2016 6:20 AM in response to alanchrishughes

Safari 9

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Safari 8

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

10.9 and lower

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Reset Safari. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

May 9, 2016 6:22 AM in response to fisaa

I use El Capitan on a early 2008 iMac and have no problems.

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (step 1), then the Partition tab (step 2), and select the partition. Using the /// at the bottom move it up (step 3) until the size box decrease by about 50 GB. Select the newly created space and hit the + button (step 4). Name it something and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (step 5). Then hit the Apply button(step 6). Download the installer from the App Store and when it starts, point it at the new partition. You might want to make a copy of the installer outside the Applications folder to avoid having to re-download it in the future. Once installed, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, select the new partition and reboot. Test away.

May 9, 2016 8:34 AM in response to fisaa

fisaa wrote:

I had this problem last week on imac. When it crashed Mackeeper helped me remove a block & restore normal service but I keep being asked to change to El Capitan. I've read that a lot of folks have trouble with EC. I love Safari but it is "unsupported" and not secure it says every time I use it.

Can this be fixed? Do I have to upgrade to EC?

Your biggest problem is that you have MacKeeper installed on your computer, a program that has been embroiled in a class-action lawsuit for fraud. Your other problem is that you used MacKeeper to remove Safari, a component that cannot and should not be removed from your operating system. If I were you, I would uninstall MacKeeper following the developer's instructions, and in the future, never put another program that claims it will clean, boost, organize, optimize, or refresh your computer again.

Safari Repeatedly Freezing Entire Computer/s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.