Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can photos be removed from my iphone after uploading

I need photos to be automatically removed from my phone after I have uploaded and stored.

iPhone 6

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:39 AM

7 replies

May 2, 2016 11:44 AM in response to VeniceLinda

That operation would depend on how you are getting them off the phone. Most import utilities in computer OS allow for that setting. I am not a Mac user, so I cannot comment on that, but in Windows, in the Import utility, there is a box you can check once you start the import to automatically delete the content from the phone after it has been imported, or you can go into Control Panel and set that as a default, if desired.

For a more precise answer, you would need to provide additional information about what you are using.

May 2, 2016 11:44 AM in response to VeniceLinda

Uploaded where? Stored where?

Depending on what exactly you are doing, will be whether this is possible or not.

If you are transferring the photos to a Mac using Photos it will ask you if you want to delete them from the iPhone after they have been transferred.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When the import is complete, a message box asks if you want to delete or keep the photos on your device. Click Delete Items to remove the photos, or click Keep Items to keep them on the device.

Beyond that, you would need to tell us exactly what you are doing before we can offer any suggestions.

May 2, 2016 11:49 AM in response to VeniceLinda

As far as I know, you can't do it automatically - you have to do it manually:

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

See the sections:

Keep only what you want

Tap User uploaded file to delete photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. When you delete a photo, it goes into your Recently Deleted album. They'll stay in there for 30 days and then they're gone forever.

Delete photos permanently

If you want to permanently delete your photos or videos within 30 days, you can remove them from the Recently Deleted album. When you delete a photo from this album, you can't get it back.

1. Open the Photos app and go to the Albums tab.
  2. Open the Recently Deleted album and tap Select.
  3. Tap each photo or video that you want to permanently delete.
  4. Tap Delete.

May 2, 2016 11:51 AM in response to VeniceLinda

Photo removal from the iPhone depends on how the photos got there

1. The import process usually offers to delete the pictures once imported - if that has not happened then

2. For images taken with the phone or stored from messages - one has to delete them from the Photos - albums area

Click "Select" and then hold finger tip on a row and slide finger across the row to the opposite end maintaining contact with the screen - once the last photo is reached move the finger tip (still in contact with screen) vertically down till you go past the edge of the screen - the screen scrolls rapidly in the opposite direction and photos are selected and can be deleted by clicking on the trash can icon

3. For photos synced through the iTunes app on the computer - you will need to sync again with that computer with the photos unselected - they will then be deleted off the phone

Before undertaking a permanent delete please ensure that your photos are safely stored

May 2, 2016 12:18 PM in response to VeniceLinda

I Answered your question in another thread and it was removed. I assume because it was a duplicate post. I already got the ban hammer once today, so I am a little paranoid. 🙂

My two cents....if you are talking about uploading photos to iCloud Photo Library, those photos are not actually stored in iCloud and can not be removed from your phone without deleting them everywhere. iCloud Photo Library is not for storage, it is for keeping all of your photos in sync and it gives you the ability to access your photos on all devices.

You need to back them up first before you can delete them from the phone.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Sep 24, 2016 11:29 AM in response to Demo

A bit delayed, but I just tried syncing my phone again...and (insanity) same thing happened; it stalled in Step 7/7. I think that's the first thing I need to accomplish is fixing the sync. The reason I want to delete the photos is I'm (again) getting a message saying I'm almost out of room. I know how to delete photos, but I really don't want too. Just want to make room. I think I have about 2,000 photos I can view on the phone, though I can't delete most of them (maybe they've already been saved.) Also, it's time for another iOS update, and there's no room for that either. At the bottom of the iTunes Sync screen there's a bar that shows memory available and I have 2.19 Gb remaining. Photos take up 3.18 Gb. So, to review:

1. Need help with stalled sync

2. Need to make room for new iOS update

Thanks for all of your help.

How can photos be removed from my iphone after uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.