Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant fan noise when connected to TV via HDMI

Hello

I own a 2012 retina MacBook Pro and since I've had it, it hasn't skipped a beat. Very very rarely have I ever heard the fan in the time I've owned it but recently I've been plugging my MacBook Pro into my TV and the fan is constantly on and it gets very hot. Nothing is running except safari which is playing a video on the TV.

The only other thing is that the tv is 55" Samsung 4K TVs and when you plug the hdmi in the resolution on the to is HUGE!!!!! I've had a look in the settings but there's nothing to lower the resolution on the TV or on the settings on the Mac.

Is this normal? If so is there anything I can do to cool it down a bit so the fan isn't as noisey?

cheers, Andy.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 2, 2016 12:21 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 12:44 PM in response to Bremner27

The fan is there to protect the MBP from overheating. By running a 4k TV, the GPU is forced to work very hard thus the heat. This is probably normal for your setup. You can have a fan directed at the MBP or lower the ambient temperature which may lower the temperature and the fan speed.

Install a temperature/fan speed application and when you are using the 4K TV, see what are the actual temperatures that are being generated. If it is in the mid 90°c or lower, it is within tolerable limits. Note that there are thermal shutdown provisions that will prevent the MBP from committing Hari Kari.

Ciao.

May 2, 2016 12:53 PM in response to Bremner27

"Nothing is running except safari which is playing a video on the TV."

Might be a conflict with a Safari extension or third party plug in that's causing the fan issue.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab

Uninstall one Extension. Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Constant fan noise when connected to TV via HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.