Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having a hard time to get rid of the red triangle ...

Expert Guys, please help me ....

I've been looking for the solution but I could not find it.

I did a simple spreadsheet with simple calculations but a "wild" red triangle insists in not going away saying that "Numbers can't be divided by zero". But my problem is that I don't have the numbers to be placed in cells yet. I'm trying to plan a cost sheet for my little store. Isn't there a "IF" formula ou a "conditioning" formula that prevents the red triangle tô show up ?

thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Processor 2.7GHz Intel i5 16 GB

Posted on May 2, 2016 12:30 PM

10 replies

May 2, 2016 12:53 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Hi Wayne. Thanks for trying tô help me. Let me see if I can post with a screen shot of my problem.

As you can see, I need tô know the number/price on column F. Column C is the price of a Box. Column D is how many items are in a Box. Column E is the number of items used. Column F is the price / cost of items used. Where should I insert one of the formulas you've suggested ?

Thanks.

User uploaded file

May 2, 2016 2:15 PM in response to macmithosbr

change the formula you have:

=C6 / D6 * E6

to:

=if(D6 = 0, "", C6 / D6 * E6)

based looking at your post, you are in a local where the comma is used as the decimal. therefore, you should use the formula:

=if(D6 = 0; ""; C6 / D6 * E6)

In this minor change, then argument separators in the formula I posted was the comma, but for you should be the semicolon.

May 2, 2016 2:41 PM in response to macmithosbr

Your formula: F6: =C6/D6*E6

Will produce a division by zero error if either of D6 or E6 is zero.

You can use either of these:

F6: =IF(OR(D6=0,E6=0),"",C6/D6*E6)

F6: =IFERROR(C6/D6*E6,"")

The first has the advantage of handling only this specific error. If there are others, IFERROR won't let you see the error triangles that tel you something's wrong.

The second has the advantage of being simpler to write (and to read) If the formula is working fine when neither D6 nor E6 is zero, use it, and fill it into all cells in column F that need this formula.

Regards,

Barry

Having a hard time to get rid of the red triangle ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.