Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternative to Holding Down "R" Key for Clip Range Selection in iMovie 10.1.2?

Has anyone found an alternative way to select a range of a clip in iMovie 10.1.2 other than holding down the "R" key? The method used in previous versions of iMovie was quick and intuitive. You simply skimmed to a point on the clip, clicked, and dragged to make the selection. Skim, click, and drag. It couldn't have been any easier. Now, when you click on a clip it selects the entire clip. The only way to get just a piece is to change your train of thought, find the "R" key, hold it down, and hope you can get back to the creative process. How is this better for the user? This is a step backwards in usability. Am I missing something? Why would the iMovie software engineers make such a confounding decision? Is there a way to get back to the simpler method by a Preference? I can't imagine a user thinking, "Wow, this process of holding down the 'R' key is really a nice update. It actually makes iMovie easier to use."

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 2, 2016 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2017 8:09 AM

Genius!!!! This really works!!! Thanks so much! I had given up hope on an actual solution. This worked perfectly on a Late 2012 iMac running iMovie 10.1.4 with macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

"Command + R" does put the user in a "Range Selection" mode that allows the user to select any part of videoclip in the Project Media area WITHOUT holding down the "R" key. Essentially, this puts you back in the mode that iMovie 10.1.1.

The user need to repeat the Command + R key combination after importing a new group of videoclips, but this is minor compared to the alternative.

Great find by Loris74! Thanks again!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2017 8:09 AM in response to Loris74

Genius!!!! This really works!!! Thanks so much! I had given up hope on an actual solution. This worked perfectly on a Late 2012 iMac running iMovie 10.1.4 with macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

"Command + R" does put the user in a "Range Selection" mode that allows the user to select any part of videoclip in the Project Media area WITHOUT holding down the "R" key. Essentially, this puts you back in the mode that iMovie 10.1.1.

The user need to repeat the Command + R key combination after importing a new group of videoclips, but this is minor compared to the alternative.

Great find by Loris74! Thanks again!

Apr 1, 2017 8:09 AM in response to Washington Apples

Hello, I've found a solution!!!! to R key alway pressed !!!

I'm testing it with imovie 10.1.4 installed on a Macbook Pro 2012, to see if it's always workng in any conditions...

When you imported clips, to keep "R" key alway down, and to be able to select a range, instead of all clip.

Simply hold CMD+R and until the next event (import, select all....) imovie register you intention to use range selection.

For me is working, if i stat just a work-session of selecting clips.

Let me know if this trick work also in yours mac!!

See you

May 8, 2016 11:37 AM in response to Washington Apples

Just in case they need more input, I agree with this wholeheartedly. This is slowing down my editing so badly right now. It's ridiculous. I love iMovie but I might shop around for another program. If they're trying to make it better for track pad users, that's completely fine, but make it an option rather than a forced update. Making me frustrated with Apple products is not how to sell track pads 😝

May 8, 2016 8:25 PM in response to Washington Apples

Same same. I use iMovie for surveillance video and I have hundreds of Private Investigator colleagues who do the same and will be tearing their hair out right now. Why can't they just give us the option?? Honestly, with the crap I've endured with El Capitan deleting my emails, iCloud screwing up my restore from back up and now this, I can't take much more from Apple. My resolution now is to find a torrent for 10.1.1 to download and turn off auto updates.

May 16, 2016 12:02 PM in response to Washington Apples

I'd been dreading this feature and just upgraded to see for myself there was no preference setting to return to the old non-R key behavior. Apple, adding my pleas to those who have gone before, at least make this a preference option. I just spent 5 days editing a vacation video with hundreds of clips and NEVER took an entire clip. Having to press R each time would have been agony. Thanks!

Jun 21, 2016 5:42 PM in response to Washington Apples

I am in the same boat. Went to select ranges and nothing worked. I found out about the R thing and that doesn't work either. I've tried on my iMac and MacBook Pro. Nothing Nada Zilch. Our local Apple support people couldn't get it to work either. I agree the the previous way was quick and easy.

I hope Apple takes note of the feedback and makes the change in a HURRY!

Alternative to Holding Down "R" Key for Clip Range Selection in iMovie 10.1.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.