Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server. Windows 10.

I have Windows 10 on my pc. I have the most current iTunes and iCloud updates as well. Ever since the most recent update, I am unable to sign in to any apple accounts from my desktop computer. I can sign in without problems on my iphone and ipad, and the online icloud. When I try to sign in through the desktop itunes program or through the icloud for windows program, I get a pop-up window that says "Verification Failed" - "There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server." I have tried restarting my computer, uninstalling and re-installing both programs, I have tried changing my apple id password. Nothing seems to work. Please help! Thanks!

Windows 10

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:11 PM

22 replies

Mar 14, 2018 1:13 PM in response to jheard67

Have you found a solution. This problem just started with my computer. i have tried all of the suggested fixes, but nothing works. I put iTunes on my wife's notebook, and it works fine there, No one has been able to help me. Apple support ran me through two hours of fixes to no avail and then said it was a Microsoft problem. I spoke to a tech at Microsoft who told me they don't fix third party apps. So, I tried a search and got this thread, but nothing here works either. So, if you have found an answer, I'd love to know what it is. Thank you.

Apr 7, 2018 7:05 PM in response to jheard67

i had this same problem on my Asus PC running windows 10.

couldn't get iCloud for windows to work either, same ID error.

Spent 90 minutes on the phone with Apple support, tried a bunch of stuff, nothing worked.

Told me to contact Microsoft, that it was their problem not Apple's.

Then I tried one last thing...I turned off 2 step verification on my Apple account,

I was immediately able to connect to iTunes but still couldn't connect to iCloud.

Then I uninstalled iCloud, rebooted, reinstalled iCloud and viola', I was able to get into iCloud.

So the issue would appear to be that Apple's 2 step verification process in Windows doesn't work; not sure who's to blame, Apple or Microsoft but this "process" doesn't work right.

Oct 31, 2017 1:02 AM in response to jwebb88

hi everyone - so I had the same issue. Apple support told me that its a windows 10 host routing file issue. Having had my screen sharing cancelled and left on hold waiting for a Microsoft engineer I did some digging on my laptop.

I use AdFender which automatically turns your manual proxy on. After turning it off and closing AdFender I was able to log in through itunes on the desktop just fine. Surprisingly apple support didn't ask about any filtering/security apps.

If you don't have adfender but something similar check the settings in those apps.

Hope this helps.

May 17, 2016 8:45 AM in response to jwebb88

Howdy jwebb88,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From what I gather, you're seeing an alert message when trying to access the sign into the iTunes Store or access your set up iCloud for Windows. Try taking a look at the article linked below which provides a lot of great information and troubleshooting tips that will help resolve issues connecting to Apple servers.

If you can’t connect to the iTunes Store - Apple Support

Cheers.

May 17, 2016 5:26 AM in response to jwebb88

I have the same issue as jwebb88.

iCloud on my ASUS ZENBOOK [Model UX303L (64 bit) running Windows 10 Home, Version 1511] cannot log in. It always returns a login error message: THERE WAS A PROBLEM CONNECTING WITH THE APPLE ID SERVER

I followed the kind guidance from Jason L (link to "If you can't connect to the iTunes store") - but I didn't find any answers down this path. Like jwebb88, I too have the latest iTunes installed, and it logs into the Apple store just fine. This strikes me as odd, since I presume both iCloud and iTunes are going to the same place to validate logon credentials.

Key points:

1) I remain logged into my iCloud account just fine via multiple iPhones, multiple iPads, another ZBOX PC running the same version of Windows 10. Confirms that this is not a "User" problem with me trying to use the wrong password.

2) From my problematic laptop, I can log into the internet version of iCloud just fine - via both Chrome and Firefox.

3) As already noted, from my problematic laptop, iTunes launches just fine, and logs into my iTunes store (...in Australia)

4) I've made sure Windows is fully up-to-date, and that my Office 2013 is also fully up-to-date, with complete shutdown/restart of the laptop to ensure nothings half-installed.

5) Before upgrade of iCloud to the latest version a couple of weeks ago (I'm now on Version 5.2.1.69), iCloud worked beautifully, including proper sync of Outlook calendar and contacts, and bookmarks across different browsers. I'd love to try and reinstall the older version - see if that rolls me back to my earlier nirvana, but I haven't been able to find anyway to do this.

Any suggestions as to best "next steps" would be warmly appreciated...

May 17, 2016 8:50 AM in response to Jason L

Thank you for your help. It turned out that my antivirus software - ESET - randomly decided to start blocking all of the apple servers. The antivirus settings must have reset themselves during a recent update. Anyway, I was able to change the settings on ESET and resume using iTunes & iCloud for Windows as usual. Hooray for having my Apple Music back while at work!

There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server. Windows 10.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.