Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove an iPad I no longer have (sold) from find my iPhone after I restored it. New owner needs to enter my username and password to activate.

I sold my iPad after I restored it, but forgot to remove it from Find My iPhone, so the person who bought it called me and said that he could not activate the device as it asked for my username and password.

I looked up the problem and tried to follow the instructions but there was no "Remove from Account" button as shown on the following image.

User uploaded file

Might it be because the device was online 43 minutes ago, just before I restored it? Should I wait longer?

I tried pressing "Erase iPad" for the device but even though the device was on and connected to Wifi while in setup menu, I still did not have the option to remove the device from the account, and it said "Erase Pending".

How can I resolve this without physically entering the username and password on that device?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:21 PM

7 replies

May 2, 2016 1:25 PM in response to Nokoa

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Once the iPad is erased, it will have the option to Remove from Account.

Why is the iPad in a set up menu? If it is running through initial set up, there is no reason why the person who has your iPad should need your information. If you already restored the iPad, they need to skip through the initial set up (and yes, there is a way to skip literally everything if you look hard enough). I set up iPads at a school and skip Apple ID, Passcode, etc...

May 2, 2016 1:29 PM in response to Pmintz25

I restored my iPad through Itunes so it's in its setup mode where user has to choose a language and country, after that it asked the user to activate the device using my username and password. When I pressed Erase and it tells the new owner that the device was erased and that they need to enter my username and password again, but Find My iPhone still thinks it was not erased.

How to remove an iPad I no longer have (sold) from find my iPhone after I restored it. New owner needs to enter my username and password to activate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.