Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It's 2016: Can we yet easily get Mainstage 3 sounds into Garageband?

Hi. I am using GarageBand 10.1.1. I have downloaded additional content from Mainstage 3 -- my computer is not so huge, so I only downloaded a few sets, like the World Music Jam Pack. Now how do I get these over into GarageBand? I was advised to do this by various online sources, but I am worried it is not actually possible...

Please use simple language; I am a bit new with GarageBand. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 15" early 2013 | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:23 PM

you should be seeing the World Music JamPack in GarageBand's Library, once you restart the MAc after you downloaded and installed it.

I am seeing all MainStage JamPacks in the Legacy section, when I select a software instrument track in garageBand.

User uploaded file

13 replies

May 2, 2016 10:58 PM in response to léonie

It took a while but I think I have found them! Strangely, I was unable to see the whole library until I clicked on various tracks in the song. Leonie, thank you!

Now, because no good deed goes unpunished, here's another, related one:

My computer has not so much space left for sounds. Can I download more gigabytes of sounds from Mainstage 3 and simply store them for future use on an external drive? And if so, how do I then import a sound or set of sounds into Gb when the need arises?

May 3, 2016 12:23 PM in response to A. Steinberg

Strangely, I was unable to see the whole library until I clicked on various tracks in the song. Leonie, thank you!

GarageBand will only show the sounds, that can be used with the particular track - if a real instrument track or a Drummer Track is selected, it will not show the Software Instrument sounds.

My computer has not so much space left for sounds. Can I download more gigabytes of sounds from Mainstage 3 and simply store them for future use on an external drive? And if so, how do I then import a sound or set of sounds into Gb when the need arises?

GarageBAnd expects the sounds to be installed in the Instrument Library, either the folder

• /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/
  • /Library/Application Support/Logic/

These folders should be on your system drive, because GarageBAnd needs to find them in the default location when it is starting up.

It is much more convenient to move other media - your iTunes Library for example, videos, or photos to an external drive.

Some have tried to move the complete sound library to a different drive like described at this link: garageband instrument library location

I never tested it, so I cannot say if it is safe.

May 27, 2016 12:18 PM in response to A. Steinberg

Dear Leonie and Others,

Sorry for being such a newbie.

I am back to the same problem as before. I have now downloaded additional sounds from Mainstage 3, and cannot locate them to use in Garageband 10.1.1.

- I have restarted.

- I have tried, for example, creating a new Software Instrument track in a Garageband project, then checked the library.

- I see *some* of the sounds as .exs files in the Library for Logic. But they do not show up in Garageband, or at least, not all of them (I can find some instruments that have the same names, e.g., under the library folder for "Legacy").

FOR EXAMPLES:

1. I see one acoustic guitar in the Logic folder called "Acoustic Harmonics" that does not how up in Gband.

2. I know I installed (from Mainstage 3) something called "Drum Kits/Stereo Drum Kits/Songwriter Kits." I don't see this in the Logic "Sampler Instruments" folder, even though it tell me it is installed.

Is it possible I am confusing instruents and loops? How do I know if what I am downloading should only show up in the Loops list?

(Finally, where do I get that nifty set of two tabs I see in one of your examples, Leonie, "Real Instrument" and "Master Track"? I do not see that in my library in Garageband 10.1.1. Was that A Gb 11 thing?)

Thanks!

May 27, 2016 2:57 PM in response to A. Steinberg

I am seeing the Acoustic Harmonics in three folders:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Track Settings/Software/Guitars/Acoustic Harmonics.cst

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Acoustic Harmonics.exs

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/Acoustic Harmonics/

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/08 Guitars/01 Acoustic Guitars/Acoustic Harmonics.exs

Try to copy /Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/08 Guitars/01 Acoustic Guitars/Acoustic Harmonics.exs

to the corresponding GarageBand folder /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Acoustic Harmonics.exs

And restart the Mac.

May 28, 2016 2:46 AM in response to léonie

Before I got your last message, I reinstalled my whole Gb library and also downloaded the JamPacks Rhythm Section. I am not even sure I restarted, but now the instruments I thought I was missing are ALL showing up, though not in a very organized fashion (e.g., there are various acoustic guitars here and there in the library -- at the top level, in Legacy, in Logic...).

So as usual, flailing about with solutions brings one without knowing precisely what was wrong in the first place.

I will be downloading some more from MainStage over the coming days and will weigh in here if more problems come up. I will also keep an eye on this last solution you had if other sounds appear to be missing. Many thanks!

It's 2016: Can we yet easily get Mainstage 3 sounds into Garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.