Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backups.backupdb is nowhere to be found!

Hi community!

I have a Time Capsule that I use for my laptop's backups. I'm trying to locate the folder Backups.backupdb but I can't find it on the /Volume, Spotlight also doesn't yield any results. Where can I find it?

Many thanks in advance!

Eduardo

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:57 PM

The TC will have a file called sparsebundle.. with the same name as your computer. that is a virtual disk that Time Machine uses when it backs up to Network targets.. double click that file and keep going into the folders and you will eventually get to the backups.backupdb

You need to understand Time Machine works differently on local cf network targets.

Please read Pondini so you understand.

http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

Read the one about how TM does its magic.

And then glance through the FAQ.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 1:57 PM in response to eduardonpinto

The TC will have a file called sparsebundle.. with the same name as your computer. that is a virtual disk that Time Machine uses when it backs up to Network targets.. double click that file and keep going into the folders and you will eventually get to the backups.backupdb

You need to understand Time Machine works differently on local cf network targets.

Please read Pondini so you understand.

http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

Read the one about how TM does its magic.

And then glance through the FAQ.

May 2, 2016 2:02 PM in response to eduardonpinto

Open the Time Capsule drive.....named "Data", unless you have changed the default name of the Time Capsule drive

Double-click on the sparsebundle file with the name of your Mac.....which contains all of the backups for the Mac

That will mount another drive icon on the desktop named Time Machine Backups

Open Time Machine Backups

Backups.backupdb will appear

Open the folder and drill down to the file(s) that you need

Backups.backupdb is nowhere to be found!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.