Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone disconnects from WiFi when iPhone is idle for more than 60 seconds

Hi

I have got an iPhone 5S which in recent days has been disconnecting itself from my home WiFi whenever the iPhone is idle for more than approx. 60 seconds. During this time, no iMessages or WhatsApp notifications are received. When i press the home button or do something on the iPhone, it reconnects again to the WiFi after a few seconds. This seems to have happened recently as it didn't use to do this. Is it a known fault with a recent software update? I have also tried soft reset and resent network settings, neither of these seem to have fixed the problem.

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 2, 2016 1:36 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2016 2:52 PM in response to Treborcool

All iOS devices from the beginning of iPhone time have disconnected from WiFi when the phone goes to sleep (i.e., the screen turns off) unless the phone is connected to power. This isn't something new; it's a feature to prevent the battery from draining when the phone is asleep (WiFi uses power continuously as long as it is on, unlike cellular data that only uses power when actually sending data).

iPhone disconnects from WiFi when iPhone is idle for more than 60 seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.