Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making the move to 23.98p. Question.

I have always shot in 59.94p since I shoot mostly sports. Just purchased a Panasonic AG-DV-200 and am dipping my toes into 23.98p on a non-sports related project. Mainly interviews and some B-roll. Quality looks great but while I am shooting it sure looks "jittery" if that is a proper description. I am editing on a 23.98 timeline. Am I doing the right thing here? What if my B-roll has some action in it? Or the client wants some slo-mo in the B-roll? I guess this gives the project that "film" look but it is new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I have done plenty of research but I really trust the feedback on this forum.

Cheers.

Tom

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 32 gig RAM

Posted on May 2, 2016 2:09 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2016 2:33 PM in response to Thomas Whaley

Thomas Whaley wrote:

while I am shooting it sure looks "jittery" if that is a proper description. I

You may want to check your camera's shutter speed, which typically should be 1/(twice the frame) - or close to1/48 for 24 fps.

If you shoot 59.94 for the B roll and conform it to a 24 fps timeline my guess it that you will notice the difference. But since the scenes are obviously cut aways, it may or may not be distracting. My suggestion is to do a lot of testing – with and without slo mo.

I'll be interested (as always) in others' comments on your questions.

Good luck.

Russ

May 2, 2016 2:55 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks for the quick reply Russ. One question. Barry Green ( a great resource on this camera ) stated that the shutter speed should be the same as the frame rate. You said it should be twice the frame rate. I am a bit confused. (as always) I think I'll go back to shooting on a 3/4 inch U-matic. I'm old. And just a minute ago I shot some 4K. And that only shoots in 24p. Also the camera can shoot in auto shutter. I need to take a class after all these years.

Cheers.

Tom

May 3, 2016 8:02 AM in response to Thomas Whaley

The "twice the frame rate" axiom comes from ye olde 16mm and 35mm film days when time was required to advance the film in the camera. Shooting at 24fps meant the film had to be moved into position, pinned, shutter opened, shutter closed, pins retracted, film moved, &c 24 times a second. If the shutter was open for more than 1/48th second, none of that could happen.

With video, you can shoot at almost any shutter speed you want. Shutter speeds become a creative factor the same as composition, f-stop, and focal length. Using frame rates creatively requires some math and planning. If you shoot 90fps and move that to a 24fps timeline and want to view in real time instead of slow motion, you're going to get some odd motion artifacts that you may or may not like.

I loved shooting film.

Making the move to 23.98p. Question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.