Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos - Albums Dimmed - Cannot Edit/Delete

iOS 9.3.1 on my iPhone 5S

Have organized photos from Camera Roll into sets of Albums (Favourites - Kids etc)..neat system!

Recent reorganization has led to a wish to delete a couple of Albums.

Under Albums view, clicking on the Edit button (Top-Right) Dims 4 of my 7 Albums - including Camera Roll - and the Red Circle does not appear beside them.

Problem is that I would like to delete 2 of the dimmed albums 😕

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

…John

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 2, 2016 2:51 PM

9 replies

May 2, 2016 4:01 PM in response to John Bonn

John Bonn wrote:

Problem is that I would like to delete 2 of the dimmed albums 😕

They are dimmed for a reason. The reason is that you can't delete them.

When you create albums on the iPhone and add photos to those albums, you are not actually adding copies of the photos to the albums but merely pointers to the original photos in the camera roll or the synced photos. The pointers to those photos allows them to appear in your iPhone created albums. The albums that you have created are for your own organization and as you called it, it is a neat system. The only downside is that thse albums can only reside on the device since the photos in the albums do not really exist.

IF you were able to delete the camera roll, all of the photos that you organized into albums would disappear.

May 2, 2016 4:58 PM in response to John Bonn

Let's take another approach. Which albums are trying to delete? You can not delete the camera roll, any albums that you synced from iTunes on your computer, the screenshots, recently deleted or selfies.

Any album that you create on the device itself can be deleted. Any other preinstalled album or albums synced from iTunes can not be deleted on the device,

May 2, 2016 5:46 PM in response to John Bonn

John Bonn wrote:

IF I delete the album on iTunes, I assume a sync would delete it on the iPhone

That is correct. There is a less drastic way to do this though. Just deselect the album in iTunes that you want to delete from the phoNe. If you deselect it (untick it) and follow that with a sync, that will delete the album from the phone. You can leave the album intact.

Actually, the photo albums do not reside in iTunes. They reside in your Photos folder or photos application on your computer. iTunes is just the conduit through which the photos are transferred to the device.

Photos - Albums Dimmed - Cannot Edit/Delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.