Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"mbam" is this an Apple malware app?

In my search for the proper way to get my Time Machine back on track, I was checking my backup volumes and found this.

"MBAM-MAC-1.1.3.72.DMG

Disk Image - 3.9 MB

Created January 16, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Modified January 16, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Last Opened January 16, 2016 at 10:12 AM"

mbam - which opens to:

Malwarebytes Malwarebytes Corporation https://www.malwarebytes.org/
In my iMac 21.5" (late 2009) OSX 10.6.8 there is an app called “Malwarebites”. It has been downloaded to my computer and I don’t remember downloading it. I’m very cautious about downloading anything to do with malware on my Mac due to the repeated warnings here in the ADC unless it is recommended by one of the highest gurus here in the group. Is this a hack or just my bad? Or perhaps something approved by Apple?

Any advice greatly appreciated. ....goldie

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2T 3.33GHz Intel2 4G-Ram

Posted on May 2, 2016 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 9:10 AM

That is a legitimate anti-malware app created by Malwarebytes. I'm actually responsible for that product myself, as a director at Malwarebytes.

It's possible, if you have had service from Apple recently, that an Apple tech may have downloaded this. They will sometimes use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove threats they find on Macs that come in for service. It's also entirely possible that you may have downloaded it sometime earlier this year and simply don't remember.

However, if your Mac is running OS X 10.6.8, it is incapable of running any version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, so you can delete it from your computer.

Thomas Reed

Director of Mac Offerings, Malwarebytes

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 9:10 AM in response to Goldenbill

That is a legitimate anti-malware app created by Malwarebytes. I'm actually responsible for that product myself, as a director at Malwarebytes.

It's possible, if you have had service from Apple recently, that an Apple tech may have downloaded this. They will sometimes use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove threats they find on Macs that come in for service. It's also entirely possible that you may have downloaded it sometime earlier this year and simply don't remember.

However, if your Mac is running OS X 10.6.8, it is incapable of running any version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, so you can delete it from your computer.

Thomas Reed

May 3, 2016 12:44 PM in response to Goldenbill

Goldenbill wrote:

Thanks for the response Thomas, I did download (and forget) it.😊 I used it a few minutes ago. and it found Genieo AGAIN. I used FindAnyFile to remove Genieo about a month ago, did it reenter my computer or did I not get all of it out?

Could be either. If the files are still there on another scan, the Genieo folks have found a way to prevent us from removing some of their files. Fortunately, we're going to have a beta out probably later this week that should fix the issue. If you've got one of these versions of Genieo installed, choose Contact Support from the Help menu in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, mention my name in your description of the problem, and I'll get you an early copy of the beta. 🙂

Thomas Reed

"mbam" is this an Apple malware app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.