Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook A1398 Only boots when FN key is held + more

I have a macbook A1398, It will boot then shut down within 30 secs. Unless I hold the FN key down while I boot and keep it held down. As long as

the FN key is held down the laptop functions normal. If I let it go, then a box appears "are you sure you want to shut down" and it shuts off.

On a secondary note: The charger doesnt stopped lighting up. On further inspection the battery pack was bulging. So a replacement pack was purchased and installed on the recommendation from the apple store. The Charger still doesnt light up green or amber or any color.

Even with the replacement battery the machine still behaves the same.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), A1398

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:57 PM

4 replies

May 6, 2016 1:41 PM in response to jeffd55

As it turns out there is an issue with the keyboard, or the motherboard. I took it apart and unplugged the keyboard from the motherboard and it works perfect (except keyboard doesnt) if I plug it back in then it continues to shut down.

I ordered a replacement keyboard and will update if that fixes it or if I need to get a new logic board.

Macbook A1398 Only boots when FN key is held + more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.