Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Can't I expand out my imported clip to edit?

I have never had a problem with iMovie up until now. I import my video clip that I need to edit, and instead of it spreading out so that I can go piece by piece to edit, it keeps the entire video in one small cell and will not allow me to drag the edges to expand the clip for editing. Please someone help me figure this out! I held down the "R" button to see if that would help and still nothing. Also, when I go to create a new movie, I am not prompted with any screen asking me what theme I want anymore! I'm super frustrated!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 3:44 PM

Are you sure you have adjusted the slider to the left of 'Settings' to expand your clip more in the timeline?

User uploaded file

When I click on the 'Create New' cross I get the following window:

Apple has moved the theme choice to the 'Settings' button

User uploaded file

Help says:

Geoff.User uploaded file

6 replies

May 2, 2016 3:47 PM in response to GeeD

Yes I have tried the settings slider. It has done nothing for me. This is what I am looking at...... Ignore my face lol Even though its a total appropriate response to my frustration LOL So up top where I usually can expand it will not let me. It will put the whole clip down below into the timeline but will not let me trim, delete, etc.

User uploaded file

Why Can't I expand out my imported clip to edit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.