Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find my imac location

HI

i having problem :

location servics enables (nothing in list)(no app in list which accesses location),

icloud "find my mac" enabled,

and WHEN I TRY TO FIND MY MACBOOK ON icloud or "find my iphone app" on iphone.

it says:

"ONLINE,LOCATION UNAVAILABLE"

and one more thing, when i set "time & date" to "set automactic according to my location"

then the result is "unable to determine location at this time."

Please help me resolve it

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:03 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 5:56 PM in response to BRIGHT BROWN

Location Services (including automatic time zone selection, Maps, and "Find My Mac") relies on a database of Wi-Fi access points with known locations. You don't have to be connected to a wireless network, but Wi-Fi must be turned on and within range of one of those access points. Otherwise the machine won't be located at all, or the location will be wrong. Sometimes the location will be wrong because the database contains inaccurate data. That would happen, for example, if you moved from one place to another and took your Wi-Fi router with you. The router is still listed in the database, but at the old location.

According to reports, if you connect to a Wi-Fi network with an iPhone, the location of the network will be sent to Apple and added to the database after a delay. An iPhone, unlike other Apple devices, has built-in GPS satellite navigation, and so can locate itself independently of Wi-Fi. The phone would have to be set to share diagnostic and usage information with Apple. More than one iPhone may have to report the location of the network before it's added to the database.

Can't find my imac location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.