Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mysteries of Design: Why is the charging port on the bottom of the magic mouse 2?

I swear Apple's design philosophy is to disregard practicality. If they were to design a cup, it would be spherical with no flat bottom or handle. You would not be able to set it down without it spilling liquid everywhere... and somehow everyone would praise the design and it would probably come in some trendy color like tulip puke or something. But it wouldn't be practical. And then to get more money, they would release an Apple Cup 2.0, that still has no flat bottom, but a handle. Useless.

As for the magic mouse 2, WHY THE **** WOULD YOU PUT THE CHARGING PORT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUSE!

It renders the whole device useless when the battery is drained, or is that part of its magic? Maybe I'm missing something, but the magic mouse 1.0 had replaceable batteries. So when the mouse dies, I could quickly replace them with a fresh set so I could keep working.... MAGIC! Now, I would have to own two of these mice in order to continue working. You know, there's a reason why I would buy a mouse for a mac book... it's not so I can use it as a paper weight when the battery is drained. If you're engineers were so smart, you'd put the friggin' charging port on the side.. or on the front... and don't get all, "ooooh, but that would ruin the sleek design." No. It would make it practical... so you could, bear with me, USE THE MOUSE WHILE YOU CHARGE IT. Oooooh, MAGIC.

The only thing magic about this mouse is if it duped you into purchasing two of them at $80 a pop, so you can continue working while one is charging! YAY! By the way, on that price point... do you think $80 was a good retail point for a mouse? I mean, sure its bluetooth, and sure it has a touch sensitive surface... but a PS4 controller has both, plus many additional buttons. MANY. Plus a light on the back that glows different colours. And the PS4 controller is only $60. So.... yeah.

GREAT JOB.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on May 2, 2016 4:47 PM

2 replies

Mysteries of Design: Why is the charging port on the bottom of the magic mouse 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.