Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help: Windows 10 will not recognize my iPod.

I just got a new desktop computer with Windows 10.

I have not had a computer to update my 160GB iPod since my MacBook Pro six months ago.

When I connect my IPod to my new computer, it says "USB device not recognized" and that because there is a malfunction, Windows will not recognize it.

Downloading iTunes was the first thing I did when I got connected to the internet and it is the most up to date iTunes version.

On my iPod if i go to Settings > About it says Version 2.0.4 Mac.

Would it have anything to do with going from a Mac to Windows?

If so, would I have to restore my iPod before it will recognize it?

That is my best guess.

Any suggestions and help is much appreciated!

Posted on May 2, 2016 3:46 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 4:20 PM in response to CrackaCraig

Normally, when you connect a Mac-formatted iPod to a Windows PC (running iTunes), it IS recognized as an iPod, but you should see a message (from iTunes) that you need to do a Restore on the iPod. The Restore erases the iPod and that's when it gets reformatted for Windows.

Try putting the iPod into Disk Mode.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

With iTunes running, connect the iPod. If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore.

Downloading iTunes was the first thing I did when I got connected to the internet and it is the most up to date iTunes version.

It was the first thing? Did you install iTunes before installing a large batch of accumulated Windows 10 updates?

Help: Windows 10 will not recognize my iPod.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.