Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Utility

I just added two AirPort Express units to my Time Capsule to extend my network. Only one of the AirPort Express units show up in Airport Utility, but both have the green light on. How do I find the 2nd AirPort Express in AirPort Utility?

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:25 PM

It's possible to "extend" by connecting an Express to the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet cable connection.....which yields the best performance......or.....by connecting the Express using a wireless connection......which unfortunately will result in a loss of about half of the maximum speed on the network. With two Expresses, the loss will unfortunately be significantly more.

Are you using Ethernet or wireless to connect the Express devices to the Time Capsule?

There will be more questions, but we need to get on the right track before we can make much progress.

In the meantime......try power off the entire network.....all devices.....in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Start up the modem and let it run 2-3 minutes

Start up the next device connected to the modem, and let it run a full minute

Keep starting up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is back up

Check the network again

Any change?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 8:25 PM in response to 2manydevices2

It's possible to "extend" by connecting an Express to the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet cable connection.....which yields the best performance......or.....by connecting the Express using a wireless connection......which unfortunately will result in a loss of about half of the maximum speed on the network. With two Expresses, the loss will unfortunately be significantly more.

Are you using Ethernet or wireless to connect the Express devices to the Time Capsule?

There will be more questions, but we need to get on the right track before we can make much progress.

In the meantime......try power off the entire network.....all devices.....in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Start up the modem and let it run 2-3 minutes

Start up the next device connected to the modem, and let it run a full minute

Keep starting up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is back up

Check the network again

Any change?

AirPort Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.