Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you sharpen video clips in iMovie 10?

Since I didn't find a sharpen tool, I have a feeling the direct answer is NO.

But perhaps there is a type of workaround? My situation is that I have a video where the camera was about 30 feet away from the action. The raw video is sharp, but several times I want to crop so a particular person in a group is close-up for a few seconds or so. Of course, when you zoom in you lose quality, so I want to see if I can do any sort of manipulating to make the cropped image not so fuzzy.

Thanks for your help!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:08 PM

Unfortunately you are correct. Their is no sharpening tool and since iMovie does not except plugins there is no third party solution. What I have found is that with some judicious adjustments to contrast and brightness you can make the clip appear sharper so you might try that and see if it will help.

5 replies

May 3, 2016 3:08 PM in response to James Snedeker

You can send both Events and Projects from iMovie to FCPX. Select an Event in library list and under file menu select send Event to Final Cut Pro. For a project open the project tab, select the project and in file menu select send movie to Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Pro will open and create a new library with your project. The media used in your project will also transfer to a new event in FCP. For your situation I would complete editing in iMovie and then send the project to FCP. You can open it, apply the sharpening effect and share from FCP to your final format.

Can you sharpen video clips in iMovie 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.