Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i

I am using a mid 2007 iMac running 10.6.8, I want to upgrade to El Captain. I want to upgrade my iCloud storage to 200GB, but I only need it for a backup before upgrade. I'm, fine with paying a one month fee, but I don't want a recurring charge for space I don't need. Is this possible?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:13 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2016 6:37 PM in response to mah9999

iCloud is designed to back up an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) but it is not designed to back up a Mac. There are some ways to manually copy files to iCloud but it isn't something I would recommend. Have you considered purchasing an external USB hard drive? They are relatively inexpensive and you could use it now as well as for backing up (via Time Machine or other methods) on an ongoing basis in the future. The possibility of failure for a variety of reasons is something that is always there with your iMac (or any other computer) so a recent backup is something that is always worth having -- not just when doing an upgrade.

i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.