Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule and Internet via ethernet

I just connected my time capsule to my internet router. I know that the capsule is connected to the internet via my wireless network. I also have an ethernet cable connected to my router and the capsule. How can I make sure that the capsule is connected to the internet NOT by the wireless network but by the ethernet connection?

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 6:49 PM

Is this the current "tower" shaped version of the Time Capsule? If yes, it is extremely unlikely that the Time Capsule is connecting to your Internet router's wireless network.

What operating system are you using on the device that you used to set up the Time Capsule? If you used a Mac, and are not sure what OS it is running......click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click on About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 6:49 PM in response to georgemiami

Is this the current "tower" shaped version of the Time Capsule? If yes, it is extremely unlikely that the Time Capsule is connecting to your Internet router's wireless network.

What operating system are you using on the device that you used to set up the Time Capsule? If you used a Mac, and are not sure what OS it is running......click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click on About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

May 4, 2016 6:34 PM in response to georgemiami

OK, lets first check to see how the Time Capsule is set up.

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Check the setting for Network Mode

What is the setting that you see there?

Two possible correct settings would be.......

1) Create a wireless network.......meaning that the Time Capsule is broadcasting a wireless signal that could be used by other wireless devices to connect

2) Off......meaning that the wireless function of the Time Capsule is turned "off", so the Time Capsule is acting as a wired device only

IF......the Time Capsule really were connected via your wireless network.......then you would see a setting of "Join a wireless network".

Please report on your results.

Airport Time Capsule and Internet via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.