Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I get a sim card for an iphone se without a carrier to use wifi

how do I get a sim card for an iPhone se bought from an apple store with no carrier, I want to load apps before I sign up with somebody. help

iPhone SE, brand new from apple, no sim card

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:41 PM

17 replies

May 2, 2016 7:21 PM in response to elcpu

elcpu wrote:

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Which means that the OP can borrow a SIM for a few minutes.

That's an idea I had not thought of.

Edit: One question, will that "lock" the phone to that carrier?

Generally, no. The only reseller I know of that does that is Carphone Warehouse (UK). I supposed their could be others but I haven't heard them mentioned here.

May 2, 2016 9:14 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

elcpu wrote:

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Generally, no. The only reseller I know of that does that is Carphone Warehouse (UK). I supposed their could be others but I haven't heard them mentioned here.

In the US, Walmart (and maybe Target) iPhones may lock to the first SIM used.

May 3, 2016 6:07 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Malcolm J. Rayfield wrote:

Meg St._Clair wrote:

elcpu wrote:

Lawrence Finch wrote:

In the US, Walmart (and maybe Target) iPhones may lock to the first SIM used.

Good to know. Thanks!

May 3, 2016 10:02 AM in response to moon1839

moon1839 wrote:

So I can borrow a nano sim from anybody? any carrier or whatever, get past the "no sim card installed" and then give the card back to whomever? Then I can use wifi to load apps etc.?

That depends on i believe the state of the phone - if as in your case - your phone is unlocked - any SIM would work - and yes - once the phone is activated - you can use your Apple ID credentials for all the things you mention

If it is carrier locked to start with - then it would need to be a SIM from that carrier - does not have to be new - even a prior used SIM suffices

May 3, 2016 1:16 PM in response to ManSinha

ManSinha wrote:

I just got a Smart Talk card from Wal Mart and used it to activate an old phone after unlocking -

When I restored through iTunes - it gave me the Congratulations - etc message

So if Walmart is true - I would say it is for select carriers

If you have an unlocked phone using a SIM card will not lock it. However, a number of non-Apple stores sell phones that are not locked initially, but will lock to the first carrier whose SIM you insert. These are sold as "SIM-Free" by the stores. for iPhones SIM-Free is not the same as "unlocked."

how do I get a sim card for an iphone se without a carrier to use wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.