Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office 365

Is there some way to get Office 2016 apps to open in less than 30 seconds on my Mac? Those four apps are so annoyingly slow to open. My son, who uses a Surface Pro said that it's the same for him. Is there some setting in the preferences that can be adjusted. I just recently updated to El Capitan hoping that would help but it didn't. Would it be any better if I just cancelled the Office 365 subscription and purchased the apps rather than have a subscription?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:18 PM

13 replies

May 2, 2016 10:53 PM in response to FoxFifth

I also have the base model but with 8 GB ram. I have only a fourth of my hard drive full right now. After searching the Microsoft community, the consensus is that the Office 2016 version for Mac uses sandboxing and the 2011 version for Mac does not. Also a hard drive vs SSD drive affects the amount of time it takes Microsoft apps to open. I had times that word opens with just two bounces and other times it bounces up to 30 times. No other apps on my Mac take that long to open. Most likely I'll just teach myself to use pages and numbers and not pay to be aggravated with a Microsoft app.

May 2, 2016 11:03 PM in response to lkpolovchik

Ah! not meaning to dampen your enthusiasm for all things Apple but the 2016 edition of Word has some really nice features as well

I was reading some older posts about users lamenting about some losses from Pages 05 to 09 to 11 when I think Apple officially stopped calling it iWork

You are welcome to switch and also request for help but it may be prudent to do your due diligence as well

May 3, 2016 9:24 AM in response to ManSinha

This begs a question: when going "off the grid" and using locally installed programs, is Office:Mac 2016 100% compatible with Office:Mac 2011 at all documents level?

We have an Academic Campus Agreement with Microsoft, so have access and rights-to-use to all Office versions (Mac and PC) but I have abstained from going to 2016 yet.

May 3, 2016 9:38 AM in response to Courcoul

I can't answer that but you may find the answer at the Microsoft Community:Office 2016 for Mac. Many posters have reverted to Office 2011. I think I've gotten my problems under control easily. I'm guessing there are many people out there with old docs and old apps having problems. One thing that I did notice Is that if your change your Word preferences, general tab and uncheck word doc gallery, Word opens in a second. You can always access your files from File: open recent and open the gallery from file word doc gallery.

May 3, 2016 10:17 AM in response to Courcoul

Courcoul wrote:

This begs a question: when going "off the grid" and using locally installed programs, is Office:Mac 2016 100% compatible with Office:Mac 2011 at all documents level?

We have an Academic Campus Agreement with Microsoft, so have access and rights-to-use to all Office versions (Mac and PC) but I have abstained from going to 2016 yet.

Yes - I used Office for Mac 2011 -and those documents are backwards compatible the funny thing is - when one tries to save it offers a unique format .docdocx - I have some individuals who send me documents that save with .doc - this overcomes any difficulty they have in opening my replies / revisions User uploaded file

Apologies to OP for potential thread jacking - Courcoul and FoxFifth - if you would like we can start our own thread to discuss - happy to if there is need

May 3, 2016 10:20 AM in response to Courcoul

I began using Office 2016 this past summer while it was still in beta and found no document incompatibilities with Word or PowerPoint which I have used extensively. I’m less certain about Excel because my Mac Excel usage is limited to small lightweight documents. The extensive macro capability of Office on Windows has kept me using Excel on Windows more than I might like simply because Excel macros just don’t cross over between Windows and Mac well even though Microsoft claims (I think truthfully) that 2016 is more Win/Mac compatible than ever before.

May 3, 2016 10:53 AM in response to dwb

It is my understanding that Office:Mac 2016 interfaces seamlessly with the online Office365 Microsoft product, so you can construct and continue developing documents in either platform and which will remain in sync. Very convenient if you're caught out somewhere far from your Mac and need to access or modify your documents. Please confirm and/or detail how, given I've kept from 2016 thus far. Also, would this include access via the iOS version of Office or does that need a separate subscription?

All this should be of interest to the OP as well and somehow converge the thread back to its beginning.

May 3, 2016 11:01 AM in response to Courcoul

Sorry Courcoul -

1. Office 2016 for Mac does not allow for iOS versions of the softwre

2. Office 365 allows one to download and use iOS versions - it immediately asks for the Office 365 account credentials

3. You do not need Office 365 per se to modify the documents away from the Mac - if you have access to the documents - you can do it in OneDrive - it has the apps built in just like iCloud had Pages and Keynote - although I have not personally tried editing or modifying an Excel for Mac document with OneDrive excel yet

4. Office 365 does net one a 1 TB storage space on OneDrive - plain ol' OneDrive without Office 365 is 5 GB

May 3, 2016 12:47 PM in response to ManSinha

The iOS versions of Word and Excel are free for anyone whether or not they are subscribing to Office 365 or using any other Microsoft product.

However on the 12.7" iPad Pro (and only on that iOS device) a subscription is needed to create and edit documents. On all other iOS devices virtually all features are available free. The following lists the features that are not available without a subscriptions: https://products.office.com/en-us/office-resources#ios-features-section

Office 365

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.