Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2007 Macbook Pro Wifi stopped working

Out of the blue, the Wifi on my 2007 Macbook Pro stopped working. It says "Turn wifi on" and the button is lit to click, but when I click, nothing happens. Went to network diagnostics and did the same thing - same result. Guessing the airport card is shot. Anything else to try?

Thanks, Mary

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2007

Posted on May 2, 2016 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:45 PM

Try an SMC reset.

5 replies

May 2, 2016 9:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks so much for responding. While I was waiting for an answer, I read suggestions on several sites, and some suggested PRAM / NVRAM reset and/or an SMC reset. So, I tried both, and nothing changed. Prior to those 2 things, I had run Disk First Aid and Repaired Disk and Permissions, Then, for lack of anything else to try, I shut the computer down, waited 30 minutes and did a cold boot, and the Wifi magically appeared. The computer has been running hot lately which concerns me, so maybe the cold boot did more than anything and the problem will come back?

On my computer, it always acknowledged that there was an Airport card installed - just that it was "not turned on", so it might be different from those who said it showed as "no card".

Anyway, I have no idea why it finally worked. A little history: I got a new battery about a month ago, (wouldn't hold a charge) but I think it was running hot before that. A while before that, I got a new charger, but I tried my old charger with my husband's computer and it didn't work with his either, (and his charger with my computer) so I am pretty sure both the battery and the charger were just old and needed to be replaced.

I would appreciate some advice. Occasionally, the screen scrambles on the laptop screen but not on the big screen I have attached. Sometimes it unscrambles when I click on something and sometimes it freezes up. I am wondering if this combined with my other problems is an indication that the logic board is about to go? If so, would it be worth it to pay for a diagnostic and possibly repair it, or should I just go ahead and get a new one? I have certainly gotten my money's worth. I'm a graphic designer/photographer, and I have used this computer all day, every day since May of 2007 (9 full years). I am at max RAM for this computer (6 GB - 667MHz), and I have a small hard drive (125 GB), so I would love a new faster and bigger computer, but I would rather not spend the money if I could get by with a repair.

Any thoughts? and thanks so much for your help with the original question!

Mary

May 5, 2016 10:10 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Went to appt at Apple Store yesterday. They were only able to run one harware test to verify that all parts were there and working at the moment. First he said my computer was "Vintage" and they could run more tests but I would have to get repairs done elsewhere. Then he said that it was classified as "Obsolete" which meant he could not run any further more detailed tests that might be able to detect intermittent issues or if something was "going out". So he basically wasnt able to tell me anything. He said if the computer stopped working he wouldnt be able to test to see what had caused it to stop because it wouldnt boot. I dont think that is right becuase my daughters motherboard went out and it was part of the 2011 recall. Took hers in a dead state and they were still able to test it. Maybe because hers is Vintage and not Obsolete? Anyway they WON'T test it whether they can or not. Thanks for tip anyway! Appreciate the effort! Will just ride this out and back up daily or until I can afford a new one. Tks!

2007 Macbook Pro Wifi stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.