Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built in apps disappeared after reinstalling OS

I own a Macbook Air 13" purchased in 2014.

I wiped my Macbook a month ago and reinstalled the operating system then upgrading it to El Capitan.
And all of the supposingly free Mac apps including Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie are gone.

When I look for these apps on the Apps Store it's asking me to buy it for the full price.
Is Apple as lame as I think they are?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:46 PM

3 replies

May 3, 2016 5:34 AM in response to cmy727

If you purchased the computer new you had to either create an Apple ID or use your Apple ID to download those apps originally. You need to log onto the App store with that same ID and then switch to the Purchased tab of the App store program. The programs should appear there and you can download them at no charge. Alternatively, if you created a backup before you wiped the computer you can migrate your old applications to the computer using Migration Assistant. It is in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.

If you purchased the computer used then those applications belong to the original owner and you will have to purchase them.

Built in apps disappeared after reinstalling OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.