Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes not syncing between Mac & iPad

Hi,

I recently got a new iPad Pro 9" and am very pleased with the way most everything was transferred from my previous iPad 2. The only complaint I have is with Apple's Notes app. I don't know whether to post here or on the Mac forum or even on the OS X forum, but here goes.

I have about 30 notes on my Mac* in 21 categories, several of which are nested inside broader categories.

On my iPad only 17 notes show up, 10 of them in the "Notes" category (there are no notes on the mac in the "Notes" category). I un-nested the sub-folders on my Mac hoping that might solve the problem but it didn't.

I've also turned off the Notes option in the iPad iCloud settings, then turned it back on, again with negative results.

As we all know, we can't "uninstall" Apple iOS apps as we can with 3rd party apps, which, in this case, might help by deleting all sorts of hidden files associated with Notes. :-(

The next option I am considering is to save all 30 notes as text files, then delete them from the Mac and see how that affects the iPad list, but I'd rather not do that if there are any better solutions.

I'm running Notes 4.2 on my Mac, which is running 10.11.4 OS X.

The iPad is running iOS 9.3.1

As an aside, it seems strange that the iOS version lists the number of notes overall and in each folder but MacOS doesn't.

*I was in the process of transferring several hundred notes from a 3rd party note app when I discovered this problem and I'm suspending that effort until the problem is resolved.

Any tips for cleaning up this mess?

Thank you,

-Tod

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 10GB SDRAM 740 GB fusion drive

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:49 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 9:03 PM in response to TodFromIndiana

I have about 30 notes on my Mac* in 21 categories, several of which are nested inside broader categories.

If by this you mean you have two levels of folders, then, as a test, change one of your broader categories to just one level, then try syncing again.

For good measure, you can also try a simple Reset on your iPad: hold down the Home and Power buttons until you see the Apple logo (15-20 seconds).

Notes not syncing between Mac & iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.