Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you back up dead MacBook using FireWire to iMac? I can view all files on iMac but not sure how to back up before I reinstall MacBook.

My MacBook Pro won't start up so want to wipe and reinstall iOS. Before I do this i want to back up all my files. If I connect to imac via FireWire I can view all files but how do I back it all up?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 2, 2016 6:40 PM

4 replies

May 2, 2016 7:33 PM in response to jonthedon80

Or just select a bunch of them and drag and drop them where you want to find them later. (just make sure there is enough room at the destination.) The only files that cannot be copied by the Finder are invisible files at top-level.

There is also really no need to copy the over 350,000 files that make up Mac OS X. A new install will re-create them all with exact copies. Any "customization" is done by creating preference files in your Home folder (by user-short-name subfolders in /Users).

Mac OS X does NOT modify itself -- by design.

May 6, 2016 4:34 AM in response to jonthedon80

thanks guys. managed to save a few files. So I went into recovery mode and erased the drive but when I tried to reinstall OS X I wasn't offered a valid drive to install on to. Long story short ended up restarting and only getting the no entry symbol coming up on the screen. Is it time to admit defeat and book in an appointment at the Genius Bar?

May 6, 2016 6:25 AM in response to jonthedon80

when you erased, did you get a GUID partition map and a Mac OS Extended (journaled) Volume ?

Can you mount that Volume over FireWire setup you used to rescue some files?

Can you drop a few files onto it and have them appear there?

Can you run Disk Utility (Repair Disk) across the FireWire and have it find no problems?

if any No above, you likely need a new drive, and that will be the best way forward.

How do you back up dead MacBook using FireWire to iMac? I can view all files on iMac but not sure how to back up before I reinstall MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.