Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do know what Hd is in what bay in a mid 2010 Mac Pro ?

I am trying to install an ssd for my operating system. And also switch out two nearly filled sata drives. When I check storage in storage in profiler I see my four drives And what there usage is. However I am not sure what the order is in relation to the profiler storage graphic. Is the top to bottom relationship in the proiler with my OS X hd on top accurate top to bottom in the report and left to right in the Drive bays ?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2017 6:30 AM

Depends on the OS version as to what Disk Utility can tell you. If you are using El Capitan, run About This Mac > System Report > Storage, click on the Mount Point heading above the drive list and this will lay out the drives in order of the bays they're in; top to bottom = left to right.

9 replies

May 3, 2016 12:55 AM in response to joe musich

You should be able to tell by noting what the storage display says. Then shutdown and remove a data drive and reboot. Note the change the storage display. I would remove either the one closer to from or back, not one of the middle ones.IN my 2009 with a PCle startup SSD the startup SST is on tope and my two disks in the drive bays are listed from front of Mac to rear.

May 3, 2016 6:23 AM in response to joe musich

Yes I do know that, i have one myself

top to bottom refers to list of drives under system report, see screenshot.

the highlighted one is bay 1, below it is bay 2, etcetera, etcetera.

drive bay 1 is on the left inside the mac, you may have your sleds mixed up if you are

thinking that bay 1 is on the right.

bay refers to the point where the sled connects to the motherboard.

How do know what Hd is in what bay in a mid 2010 Mac Pro ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.