Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac screen goes black with some writing for NO apparent reason

My iMac is not even a year old, and for some reason it randomly decides to restart or something. The screen will go black, and then words will pop up (see picture) and then it will boot up like normal. I was fine with this occasional random error until it happened three times in a row when I needed to be productive. Does anyone know how to resolve this error?User uploaded file

iMac, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 2, 2016 10:22 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2016 2:22 AM in response to fostej15

Try doing an SMC Reset (power management) procedure. For an Intel iMac, this is basically unplugging the power cord and reconnecting it, following a specific procedure described in this document

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support (see section Reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers)

Also take a look at how your iMac is connected to power. If it's connected to a power strip (surge suppressor) that is like an "octopus" under your desk, along with an external drive or two, a printer, assorted power adapters for other peripherals, secondary display, speakers, and your desk lamp, connect your iMac to a separate wall outlet. The amount of current going through one power outlet is limited, and your iMac could have such errors if it's not getting enough power to operate. The occurrence of the problem could be sporadic or repeated, depending the total power draw at any given moment.

iMac screen goes black with some writing for NO apparent reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.