Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deregistering imessage when my number "isn't registered"

Until a few days ago, I was using an iPhone 4. It completely stopped working on me, and I can no longer even turn it on. So, I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and just put it in the sim card today to start using it.

Now, I am able to receive messages from individual iPhone users, but I am unable to receive any messages in group chats since those messages are sent as iMessages. I realized that I needed to deregister my phone from iMessage, so I used the link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage since I no longer had access to my iPhone to deregister it through Settings.

I put in my phone number, got the code, and put in the code. Then, I got an error message saying that my number "isn't registered with iMessage." What do I do? I need to be able to get group messages from people, but it isn't working. If my phone isn't registered with iMessage, how are people sending me iMessages right now? Any help would be much appreciated.

iPhone 4

Posted on May 2, 2016 7:55 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2016 10:55 PM in response to AbracadabraPop

As you know from using the iPhone - people do not switch between iMessage and text on a recipient basis - one simply sends the message and the Apple servers take care of the rest for iMessage and the carrier for SMS

My question is - what makes you feel you are receiving iMessages on a Galaxy S6? Could they not be just normal SMS messages? Also have you had a chance to discuss the issues with your carrier since SMS is a carrier mediated function?

May 3, 2016 6:22 AM in response to ManSinha

When I got the sim card for my phone, I started a group chat with two friends so use iPhones to celebrate. After a few minutes, one of them messaged me over FB messenger to see if I was getting their messages since they were being sent as iMessage with the characteristic blue bubble. I was unable to see any of their messages. They started individual chats with me and those worked just fine.

To test the problem, I borrowed my mom's iPhone and sent my new phone a message. It initially attempted to send it as a iMessage before switching to SMS, exactly as you described. However, when I created a group message with myself and another iPhone user from her phone, the message was sent as an iMessage, and I was unable to receive it.

So, I am reasonably confident that the messages are being sent as iMessages since I saw the screen from my mother's phone. I have not contacted my carrier, but I might attempt that later today.

Deregistering imessage when my number "isn't registered"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.