Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! I can't transfer photos from my iPhone 5 to to iCloud...why not?

I can't transfer my photos from my phone to iCloud for some reason. I can't get them off my phone and it is super frustrating since my phone is out of memory and won't take any more pictures. I want to transfer all of my photos to iCloud, log in to iCloud.com and then download them from iCloud to my computer (Mac) so I can delete them off my phone...but alas, it is not working.

I did a software update on my phone and computer (both are running greater than the ios 8.0 or what ever you have to have), I updated my plan to 50GB and my phone under, "Settings, iCloud, Backup" shows that the last back-up was "6:43am" today. I'm golden.

But, I'm not. Here is where it gets interesting. When you log in to iCloud.com and I check my iCloud settings, it says I have "5gb" of storage. UGGHH! So super frustrating. What's the deal? My phone says I have "46.9gb of 50gb remaining." How can there be this disconnect?

The other day after a partial upload, some of the pictures were actually on iCloud.com. In fact, when you click "iCloud" under settings, and then "Storage, Manage Storage, Photos" it shows that I have updated "38 photos and 12 videos" or a total of 199mb. I have at least 850 pictures on my phone and 87 videos. Why don't they upload to the cloud?

So very frustrated; any help would be appreciated.

P.S. When you go to "Settings, iCloud, Backup," iCloud Backup is turned "on." (And it is here where it reads, last backup 6:43am.)

Thanks!!!!

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:39 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 9:43 PM in response to tfromfenton

You can't just transfer your photos to iCloud. It doesn't work that way. iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service to keep the photos on your device in sync with your iCloud account. In both places at the same time.

iCloud backups have nothing to do with photos if you are using iCloud Photo Library.

What are the settings on your phone for Photos?

Settings > iCloud > Photos?

May 2, 2016 9:57 PM in response to tfromfenton

When you log in to iCloud.com and I check my iCloud settings, it says I have "5gb" of storage. UGGHH! So super frustrating. What's the deal? My phone says I have "46.9gb of 50gb remaining." How can there be this disconnect?

There's no disconnect. You're comparing apples to oranges. iCloud Storage is what you have available on cloud servers. 5GB is what you get for free. To get more you have to buy more. iPhone Storage is what's built into your device.

Get started with Photos for OS X

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204655

iMore has a very detailed, well illustrated article on iCloud Photo Library:

http://www.imore.com/how-use-icloud-photo-library-ultimate-guide

Help! I can't transfer photos from my iPhone 5 to to iCloud...why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.