Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro cannot install OS X.

Whenever I try to start up my computer I get this message because regular recovery mode does not work. It forces me to go to Internet recovery. It forces me to choose a WiFi network but the one that is secure and I use regularly does not show up ( it is a college campus WiFi network). So it gives me an error message and tells me to contact apple support, which has not been helpful so far.

Initially it began as a problem where my applications were no longer loading. I never dropped it and it has never gotten wet. It all started randomly one day. So AppleCare suggested backing up my files with Time Machine, then Erasing my hard drive in Utilities in Recovery Mode. Then I tried to reinstall OS X El Capitan but two times that I have tried it says that it was unable to complete the download and installation. I shut down my computer and tried to get it back to recovery mode but it would only bring it to Internet a Recovery where it gives me the message in the picture below. I have called AppleCare 11 times in the past week and a half.

I am three hours from the closest Apple Store, so I would rather it not come down to it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:46 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 9:54 PM in response to Gwibs

OS X Recovery requires a Wi-Fi network and a broadband connection > OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

"but the one that is secure and use regularly does not show up"

You need to contact the college network administrator.

If you can make a drive to an Apple Store, they will restore your Mac for you.

You can make an appointment at a Genius Bar in advance.

May 3, 2016 12:19 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Captive networks are not supported in internet recovery which is what most college campuses use. If the hard drive is erased instead of only erasing the storage volume where OS X is installed it will erase the built-in recovery partition. In the future to be safe create a bootable installer on a flash drive.

Create a bootable installer for OS X - Apple Support

You need to either connect to a wifi network that uses WPA or WPA2, use ethernet, use a bootable installer (find a friend with a Mac that can make one), schedule a Genius Bar appointment, or find a local Apple Authorized Service Provider. A service provider may charge for installation of OS X.

MacBook Pro cannot install OS X.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.