Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Ethernet port is not working in iMac mid 2011. Pls. help me.

Hi, I have iMac 21.5" mid 2011. My Ethernet port is not working. Is it any software issue ? Pls. help me.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 3:24 AM

Try resetting the SMC Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Try a different ethernet cable.

Still not working? Report back with more onformation Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

9 replies

May 3, 2016 4:53 AM in response to artistsagar

Do you have Wired [Ethernet] and Wireless connected at the same time?

If yes, disconnect the wired connection and let me know if you get the internet via wireless by refreshing Safari.

I had a similar problem with this when both were connected simultaneously - the Service Order in your Network Settings [Preferences | Network] dictate which gets priority. With both connected the one at the top of the list gets the service first - not sure why but when I changed the order to give wireless the priority suddenly Safari connects to the internet.

Let me know and I will grab a screenshot for you. T.

May 3, 2016 6:37 AM in response to IT Supporter

The screenshot below shows the Network Settings | Service Order.

If the Ethernet connection was top of the list my Safari did not connect, changed the order and it worked even with the Ethernet cable still connected. If the Ethernet was top of the list and cable not connected - no internet even though Wireless was connected. Very odd but it worked eventually.

HTH, T.

User uploaded file

May 4, 2016 12:59 AM in response to artistsagar

Hi ArtistSagar,

If you turn off Wireless and have only Ethernet connected do you get an internet connection?

If you disconnect Ethernet and have only Wireless connected do you get an internet connection?

Connect a standard Ethernet cable to your Mac and to a router - open System Preferences | Network and see what it tells you about Ethernet in the sidebar. If you see a green light next to Ethernet and have IP & DNS settings showing on the right, it's working properly and you are connected to your router. If it's red then possibly the computer doesn't detect that cable.

There are some RJ45 [Ethernet] cables that are wired differently for Fibre connections and these usually have a red plug on the end [in the UK]. Clear or Yellow are usually standard wired.

Last resort is a Hard Reset on the Router and see if that changes anything.

T.

My Ethernet port is not working in iMac mid 2011. Pls. help me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.