Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I do with a iCloud locked iwatch

Well apple community... I'm here at your mercy. Apple has left me out in the cold and I need your help. Firstly if you are gonna say that I can't unlock it or there is no way to do it then just leave because I'm not here for that. On the other hand if you have any ideas on actual solutions I would love to hear them 🙂.

So the story goes like this:

I got the apple watch on eBay and it is iCloud locked. The owner is unknown because he was not the seller. I tired to get my money back and can't. So I know his (or her) email starts with a K as it shows when I try and link to my phone. The security is such that I have no way that I know of to contact the pervious owner even though thats all it would take. I thought about calling it in as stolen but then I would lose it and thats not the goal. I talked to Apple many times and while they assured me they are sorry, they refused to help me. I know for a fact that I am not alone in owning an iWatch that now is useless to anyone ever and will go to the trash or to parts for some repair shop if a solution is not found. I would not be mad if I could turn it in and get a different one and they could resell it or something but that is not the case. So what am I to do... please help folks.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Apple Watch, watchOS 2.2, Serial: FH*******9J6

Posted on May 2, 2016 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:39 AM

What you are describing is Activation Lock, a built in security feature which prevents unauthorised use of an Apple Watch in the event of being lost or stolen.

To be able to pair the Apple Watch to your iPhone, you need the previous owner to do one of two things, either:

1: Enter their Apple ID and password on the actual device you bought.

Or. . .

2: Get the previous owner to log into https://www.icloud.com/ ,sign in with their Apple ID and disabling Activation Lock remotely (Once signed in, Settings > My Devices > Click on Apple Watch > Click on the "X" > click on Remove).

Otherwise, you won't be able to use the watch, as there are no other ways around this security feature.

As far as eBay are concerned. Raise a case (Help & Support) select the item, then select 'goods not as described' and then give the reason as 'the Apple Watch is activation locked' (iCloud Locked), which was not detailed anywhere on the listing. Once you have completed the complaint, click the submit button. If the seller is not the original owner, they can't remove the activation lock.

If the listing didn't state the Watch was iCloud locked / Activation Locked anywhere, eBay will find in your favour and you will receive a refund.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 7:39 AM in response to Jesse Techno

What you are describing is Activation Lock, a built in security feature which prevents unauthorised use of an Apple Watch in the event of being lost or stolen.

To be able to pair the Apple Watch to your iPhone, you need the previous owner to do one of two things, either:

1: Enter their Apple ID and password on the actual device you bought.

Or. . .

2: Get the previous owner to log into https://www.icloud.com/ ,sign in with their Apple ID and disabling Activation Lock remotely (Once signed in, Settings > My Devices > Click on Apple Watch > Click on the "X" > click on Remove).

Otherwise, you won't be able to use the watch, as there are no other ways around this security feature.

As far as eBay are concerned. Raise a case (Help & Support) select the item, then select 'goods not as described' and then give the reason as 'the Apple Watch is activation locked' (iCloud Locked), which was not detailed anywhere on the listing. Once you have completed the complaint, click the submit button. If the seller is not the original owner, they can't remove the activation lock.

If the listing didn't state the Watch was iCloud locked / Activation Locked anywhere, eBay will find in your favour and you will receive a refund.

May 3, 2016 6:13 AM in response to Jesse Techno

If you are trying to activate an  Watch and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using stolen devices. If the  Watch is activation locked and the seller cannot unlock it for you there is a good chance you purchased a stolen  Watch. Make a claim with eBay.

What do I do with a iCloud locked iwatch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.