Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV and tv malfunctioning

I Have a weird issue with my Apple TV and tv. The remotes for both are doing weird things when I press buttons (I checked the batteries and they are not the problem). First, my tv remote only partially works. The volume up works but volume down doesn't. Just about every time I press a button on my tv remote, it switches from HDMI, which is what my Apple TV is connected to, to VGA. After struggling for a bit, i can finally get it to switch back to HDMI. But the problem doesn't stop there. My Apple TV remote is barely responsive to me pressing the buttons. I'll press a direction on the remote and get no feedback. Then suddenly will scroll all the way to the end of the screen in the direction I pressed. It's a struggle to use the Apple TV on HDMI and I an barely touch the tv remote without it changing to the VGA input. The issue with the tv and Apple TV happened simultaneously which make it even more weird. Does anyone know what the issue is and how to fix it?

Posted on May 2, 2016 9:15 PM

6 replies

May 3, 2016 2:56 AM in response to HugeWang

That's very odd. Let's collect some info.

Please give the version and software of your Apple TV. See this Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Supportif not sure.

What make and model TV?

Do you have some type of universal remote in addition to those for ATV and ATV?

It sounds as if you have some interfering infrared source. Did you change anything in your environment at the time?

May 3, 2016 5:49 AM in response to Diana.McCall

The Apple TV with the problem is 3rd gen model A1469 and software is 7.2.1 (8011). The make of the tv is Hisense but I don't know the model. Nothing in my environment has changed recently. we have a lot of electronics in this house including tvs, other model Apple tvs, roku, chromecast, etc. but only the tv and Apple TV in my room have issues. Even my housemate in the room next to mine has no issues with his tv and apple TV in there. There's a universal remote downstairs where the 4th gen Apple TV and roku are but there are no problems down there either. I'm using the manufacturer's remote for the tv in question. Also, occasionally I'll get a bit of relief and it will all work perfectly fine for a short period of time. But then it reverts back to having issues. Sorry if there is inconsistent grammar. It appears my phone will use autocorrect here intermittently but I tried to fix everything. Maybe I just have bad luck with electronics.

May 3, 2016 5:51 AM in response to HugeWang

Do you have something connected to the TV VGA input, a computer maybe. Could it be causing the input to swirch?

Are the optical ports on TV and ATV clean and exposed?

This is pretty simple technology, so there's not much to go wrong.

Could you try moving close to the TV or ATV and see if the remote works normally there. That would at least establish a baseline.

Apple TV and tv malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.