Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stupid iCloud problem reading comics, driving me nuts!

I have iCloud set up on my Mac and my iPads. To be honest, i've never really bothered with it but I thought I'd give it a go as I'm starting to read comics on my iPad.

I uploaded a few files (.cbz) to my comics folder on iCloud from my Mac and then launched Chunky Comic Reader on my iPad Mini 4, pointed it at the comics folder and picked up the comics. Everything worked fine.

I then opened Chunky on my iPad Pro, and pointed it at the same comics directory and...no comics there at all, only one item there called "place items here' (or something like it).

I went back to my Mac to check and the comics are definitely there.

I've restarted everything but it still won't work. I can read the comics on one iPad but not on the other. Both iPads have the newest OS.

Rather strangely, the "place items here" file / icon is only visible on my iPad Pro - it's not there on the Mac or the iPad mini.

Can anyone suggest anything please?

iPad, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:27 PM

9 replies

Feb 18, 2017 2:38 PM in response to LACAllen

Has anybody been able to solve this - I'm having a similiar problem. icloud drive on my ipad shows the Chunky Comic Rader folder - however it is not syncing anywhere else. I created my own Comics folder parallel to the CCR folder, it syncs fine. On the ipad I then try to move the comic from the folder I created to the CCR folder, but it does not appear in the list of folders to select (which has to be the worst UI I've seen on an ipad select page). If it helps, the CCR folder doesn't show up icloud.com either, although all my other app related folders do (and the folders I create)

Any thoughts on what the problem could be - is it the app? The fact that the 'Comics Go Hear' file that Chunky places in the folder is zero bytes might be an issue - idk?

thanks,

Brett

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 3, 2016 9:01 AM in response to javaliga

Yeah, all devices are using iCloud (and the same iCloud account!).

I've read all the stuff about using iCloud and nothing like this is mentioned.

I switched over to Dropbox just to try and that works without any issues on all 3 devices - I just have a trial Dropbox account but I have a paid-up iCloud account that I'd rather use (obviously because I'm already paying for it!)

May 3, 2016 10:26 AM in response to SpongeBlob

You said all devices are using iCloud, but are they using iCloud DRIVE?

I'm not sure what you mean by "I've read all the stuff about using iCloud and nothing like this is mentioned." Nothing like what is mentioned? As the very first section ion the FAQ states:

iCloud Drive FAQ

iCloud Drive lets you securely access all of your documents from your iOS device, Mac, and Windows PC. So no matter which device you’re using, you'll always have the most up to date documents when you need them.

That sounds like what you want.

So, how did you upload the files to iCloud?

May 3, 2016 10:57 AM in response to javaliga

Hi

I setup iCloud drive from the Mac and uploaded files to the drive from there. iCloud drive is in the sidebar in any finder window.

I then setup iCloud in the settings on both iPads and asked the comic viewer to use iCloud. Both were setup in an identical way - to be honest, there's not a lot of settings on the iPads for iCloud. You just turn it on and make sure that your app is using it!

The iPad mini saw the files immediately but the iPad Pro still doesn't see them.

I know what the blurb says but in my case, the reality is different. It just doesn't seem to work for me no matter how magical or fabulous the FAQ makes it sound.

May 3, 2016 11:18 AM in response to SpongeBlob

All I'm trying to do is understand, for sure, what you did or didn't do. I keep saying iCloud Drive and you keep saying iCloud. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. The setup guide says:

Set up iCloud Drive

Use these steps to set up iCloud Drive on each of your devices.

iOS 8 or later

1. Tap Settings > iCloud.
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID, if you need to.
  3. Tap iCloud Drive.
  4. Tap Upgrade to iCloud Drive.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has iOS 9, you can see your iCloud Drive files in the iCloud Drive app. You can show or hide the iCloud Drive app on your Home Screen. Go to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive and tap the slider for Show on Home Screen to turn on or off.

Could you by any chance have the iCloud Drive app hidden on your iPad Pro?

May 3, 2016 12:03 PM in response to javaliga

Hi

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself fully!

On the both iPads, in settings --> iCloud, iCloud drive is on

The iCloud drive icon is visible in both iPads but browsing the iCloud drive with the iCloud drive app on the iPad mini, you can see the comics in the comics folder that I created.

On the iPad Pro, using the iCloud Drive app, there is nothing in the same comics folder. It's totally empty apart from one file that's called "please items here"

Both iPads are on 9.3.1 (or whatever the latest OS is).

Hope this clarifies what I'm seeing

Stupid iCloud problem reading comics, driving me nuts!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.