Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro won't turn on unless it's plugged in. It turns off as soon as it's unplugged and the battery won't go past 85%. What should I do?

Hi, so, my MacBook Pro 2013 has been acting up. It's running yosemite. So, like I said, it won't turn on unless it's plugged into a power source. The laptop says it's charged 85% and won't go past that, but the charger has the green light on, which indicates that it's fully charged. I recently got a new MagSafe charger. It wasn't from the Apple Store, because they didn't have any of those left because of the new MagSafe 2s that had just come In. I'm pretty sure it's certified though. So if you guys could help me out, that'd be great, thanks. Also, I need a solution quick, because I need my laptop for school and all my files are on there.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 2, 2016 11:30 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2016 12:30 AM in response to neelfromind

First try and do an SMC Reset and see if that helps. Else you should take it in and have them run a diagnostic. Which should be free. Should it come to that, pretty certain the battery will be at fault and you'll be given replacement options. Unless you're really unlucky and there's logic board damage, so let's hope for the best. Do get a complete volume backup ASAP, just in case.

My MacBook Pro won't turn on unless it's plugged in. It turns off as soon as it's unplugged and the battery won't go past 85%. What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.