Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I convert from an old airport extreme to the most recent one?

I recently bought the latest Airport Extreme and want to have it replace my older Airport Extreme without having to create a new network. How can I do that? And can my old one be used to reinforce the Wi-Fi signal in another part of my house?

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 10:03 AM

I recently bought the latest Airport Extreme and want to have it replace my older Airport Extreme without having to create a new network.

Although you can export, and then, import the base station's settings between devices, it will still be a good idea to perform a complete power recycle of your networking hardware. Check out the following AirPort User tip for details.

To export/import the base station configuration settings:

• AirPort Utility > select the "old" base station > Edit
  • AirPort Utility's menu bar > File > Export Configuration File...
  • Choose where you want to export the file to.
  • AirPort Utility > select the "new" base station > Efit
  • AirPort Utility's menu bar > File > Import Configuration File...
  • Choose the location of the file you just exported.

And can my old one be used to reinforce the Wi-Fi signal in another part of my house?

Yes. How you configure both stations will depend on the models of each and, whether the connection between them will be wired or wireless.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 10:03 AM in response to Forster-Clarke

I recently bought the latest Airport Extreme and want to have it replace my older Airport Extreme without having to create a new network.

Although you can export, and then, import the base station's settings between devices, it will still be a good idea to perform a complete power recycle of your networking hardware. Check out the following AirPort User tip for details.

To export/import the base station configuration settings:

• AirPort Utility > select the "old" base station > Edit
  • AirPort Utility's menu bar > File > Export Configuration File...
  • Choose where you want to export the file to.
  • AirPort Utility > select the "new" base station > Efit
  • AirPort Utility's menu bar > File > Import Configuration File...
  • Choose the location of the file you just exported.

And can my old one be used to reinforce the Wi-Fi signal in another part of my house?

Yes. How you configure both stations will depend on the models of each and, whether the connection between them will be wired or wireless.

May 3, 2016 1:40 PM in response to Forster-Clarke

In addition to the suggestions from Tesserax, if you have a current or recent version of the operating system on your Mac, you might want to consider using the option in Apple's setup wizard to "Replace an existing device", which is a process that guides you through the setup and installation of the new AirPort Extreme.

The example below shows an AirPort Express as the the "new" device, but you would see your AirPort Extreme pictured on your screen.

The setup wizard will automatically transfer all of the existing settings from your old AirPort Extreme to the new AirPort Extreme and then reset the old AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings. Once that has been done, it will be a simple task to set up the old AirPort Extreme to "extend" the signal from the new AirPort Extreme using a different wizard setup template.

A possible question here might be how old your "old" AirPort Extreme might be? I'm assuming that you have a "flat or square" version of the AirPort Extreme.....and not the very old "round or dome" shaped AirPort Extreme. It might be a good idea to verify the model number of the old AirPort, to make sure that it would be compatible for this purpose.

Please look on the bottom of the old AirPort to locate the model number. It might be on a label or embedded in the foam pad base. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers. Post back with that model number, please......if you want to consider using Apple's setup "wizard".

User uploaded file

How can I convert from an old airport extreme to the most recent one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.