Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine backup with different users

Hi

I have 4 users set up on my iMac, and regularly run a time machine backup. Having never had to use the backup, I wanted to check. Does the TM backup cover all 4 users, or does it just backup the files for the user that is logged in?

Thanks

Time Machine-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBook Pro

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:57 AM

The best way for you to obtain an answer to this question is for you to actually try to use TM to restore a deleted file.

I'm amazed by how many people assume that their backups are working fine but the first time they check is when they try to recover everything after a HDD failure...

Anyway, unless you have deliberately excluded them for some reason, you should find that all user files are included in TM backups. By default TM backs up pretty much everything apart from some temporary files and caches.

C.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 1:57 AM in response to mpphoto72

The best way for you to obtain an answer to this question is for you to actually try to use TM to restore a deleted file.

I'm amazed by how many people assume that their backups are working fine but the first time they check is when they try to recover everything after a HDD failure...

Anyway, unless you have deliberately excluded them for some reason, you should find that all user files are included in TM backups. By default TM backs up pretty much everything apart from some temporary files and caches.

C.

TimeMachine backup with different users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.