Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" MacBook Pro, continually freezing?

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display around three months ago, brand new. In the last week, it's frozen four times on me and I've had to use my power button to restart it. I've not changed anything in the way that I've been using my Mac, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly happened now, and so often. There is also no continuity as to when it freezes - twice it's been while I was on Safari, and twice while I was using Microsoft Word. All software is also up to date.

If it were an older computer I would understand problems like this, but for a laptop which is 3 months old surely it shouldn't be doing this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on May 3, 2016 2:00 AM

7 replies

May 3, 2016 3:33 AM in response to JodieFergusson

Reset NVRAM/PRAM https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21876?viewlocale=en_MY&locale=en_MY

Reset SMC. Choose the method for “On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery”.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Start up in Safe Mode. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21875?locale=en_US

Repair Disk. OS X El Capitan https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22243?locale=en_US

If this doesn’t help, please run EtreCheck and post the report here.

http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Download it, open Downloads folder, click on it to open, select”Open” in the dialog to run it.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste it when you reply.

May 3, 2016 3:43 AM in response to dominic23

Even clean installation doesn't solve this. Here is a long thread about this http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2015-with-osx-el-capitan-10-11-4 -system-wide-freeze.1963711/ . In 10.11.3 everything worked flawlessly. This issue is related probably to newest broadwell intel chips. I will try what you suggested, but i think that it will not fix this issue.

Here is my etrecheck report:

EtreCheck version: 2.9.11 (264)

Report generated 2016-05-03 12:41:13

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime 1:33

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Apps are crashing

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro12,1

1 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 7

Video Information:

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Color LCD 2880 x 1800

BenQ GW2470 1920 x 1080

System Software:

OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 (15E65) - Time since boot: about 5 hours

Disk Information:

APPLE SSD SM0128G disk0 : (121,33 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk1) / : 120.10 GB (80.13 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 120.47 GB Online

USB Information:

Apple Card Reader 129,79 GB

Transcend (disk2s1) /Volumes/Transcend : 129.77 GB (63.34 GB free)

Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Apple Inc. Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Gatekeeper:

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (5.0.16 - 2016-04-08) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (5.0.16 - 2016-04-08) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (5.0.16 - 2016-04-08) [Support]

[loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (5.0.16 - 2016-04-08) [Support]

System Launch Agents:

[not loaded] 7 Apple tasks

[loaded] 155 Apple tasks

[running] 76 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] 46 Apple tasks

[loaded] 156 Apple tasks

[running] 87 Apple tasks

Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist (2016-04-01) [Support]

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (2016-04-01) [Support]

[loaded] com.transcend.TSRecoverHandlerHelp.plist (2016-04-01) [Support]

[running] com.transcend.TSSleepHandlerHelp.plist (2016-04-01) [Support]

[loaded] com.transcend.TSTRIMHandlerHelp.plist (2016-04-01) [Support]

[not loaded] org.virtualbox.startup.plist (2016-04-08) [Support]

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist (2016-04-01) [Support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (2016-04-01) [Support]

User Login Items:

Dropbox Application (/Applications/Dropbox.app)

Other Apps:

[running] com.etresoft.EtreCheck.158112

[running] com.getdropbox.dropbox.66272

[running] com.google.Chrome.243232

[running] com.install4j.1106-5897-7327-6550.5.236192

[running] com.sublimetext.3.59232

[loaded] 405 Apple tasks

[running] 192 Apple tasks

Internet Plug-ins:

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (2016-03-12)

Unity Web Player: UnityPlayer version 5.3.4f1 - SDK 10.6 (2016-03-11) [Support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 91 build 14 (2016-04-20) Check version

Default Browser: 601 - SDK 10.11 (2016-03-12)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Java (2016-04-20) [Support]

TeXDistPrefPane (2016-04-01) [Support]

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

9% Google Chrome Helper(12)

3% Google Chrome

2% kernel_task

2% fontd

2% WindowServer

Top Processes by Memory:

1.92 GB Google Chrome Helper(12)

947 MB kernel_task

434 MB realJavaApplicationStub

229 MB Google Chrome

213 MB Finder

Virtual Memory Information:

59 MB Free RAM

7.94 GB Used RAM (1.60 GB Cached)

130 MB Swap Used

Diagnostics Information:

May 3, 2016, 07:32:36 AM Self test - passed

May 1, 2016, 04:55:37 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/5KPlayer_2016-05-01-165537_[redacted].hang

/Applications/5KPlayer.app/Contents/MacOS/5KPlayer

May 1, 2016, 04:54:25 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/5KPlayer_2016-05-01-165425_[redacted].hang

Apr 30, 2016, 09:10:22 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/5KPlayer_2016-04-30-211022_[redacted].hang

May 3, 2016 5:08 AM in response to JodieFergusson

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Please launch the Console application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Step 1

For this step, the title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes.)

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the BOOT_TIME log message that corresponds to the last boot time when you had the problem. Now clear the search box to reveal all messages. Select the ones logged before the boot, during the time something abnormal was happening. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

For example, if the system was unresponsive or was failing to shut down for three minutes before you forced a restart, post the messages timestamped within three minutes before the boot time, not after. Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the end of the log extract—not at the beginning.

If there are long runs of repeated messages, please post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Step 2

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of reports. A crash report has a name that begins with the name of the crashed process and ends in ".crash". A panic report has a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic". A shutdown stall report has a name that ends in ".shutdownstall". Select the most recent of each, if any. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot. It's possible that none of these reports exists.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a crash or panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report—they're very long and rarely helpful.

When you post the log extract or the crash report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

May 13, 2016 7:09 PM in response to dominic23

I have had the same problem and it always happens while using Safari. The first day I powered on my new 13" MacBook Pro (4/8/16) it froze and has happened numerous times since then. My old Pro that I had for 4 years froze once my new one 10 or more times. This obviously has been an issue for early 2015 13" Pro since I'm seeing posts with the same issue from a year ago and mine is only a month old it's ridiculous that Apple continued to sell these models with this issue. I have read the "fixes" above, there is no way I'm going to waste/spend my time going through all those things and still no guarantee it will fix the problem. Apple needs to get their Sh*t together, nobody wants to drop over $1,500 on a computer that has bugs.

13" MacBook Pro, continually freezing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.