Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4s does not work with OSX internet sharing

Ive Iphone 4s latest IOS software as 01/05/16. Ive a MAc 5K running capitan 10.11.4. Mac is connected ethernet and wifi is turned on on the Mac Ive setup internet sharing. Iphone sees the MAC and I use a password using WEP, if I use the wrong password It tells me cannot connect password is wrong. If I use the correct password it starts to connect the wheel spins but it never finishes the connection. Should also Add that my main BB router is a orange Livebox. MAC is connected to it via a switch to a switch port on the router. No specific firewalling on the router and Firewall tuned off on the MAC. I am able to connect through my network to a NAS from all devices and from a MAC to a MAC using file sharing, so no reason to assume its a router issue. Any ideas

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 9.2, null

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:13 AM

4 replies

May 3, 2016 12:30 AM in response to toismonts

If I understand correctly, you want to use the Mac as a hotspot for your phone, to be able to go online with your device via Wi-Fi.

In that case, this can't be done, the phone can only connect to a router, using Wi-Fi to access the internet, not a computer.

You can only use the phone as a hotspot for your computer:

Get help with Personal Hotspot in iOS - Apple Support

May 3, 2016 12:39 AM in response to Ingo2711

Hi , Actually I have got this to work and yes it does work with the MAC using internet sharing. As long as the MAC is connected to the host router via ethernet you can share the wifi on the mac as a hotspot ( I also found this in another thread). I have narrowed the problem down to Mcafee Firewall that is included in my Mcafee Livesafe. Disabling the firewall allows the Iphone to connect and I have also tested it with an android device connected to the MAC as well. Any useful tips on the MCafee firerwall very welcome :-)

iphone 4s does not work with OSX internet sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.