Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Procedural differences between 'updating' and 'upgrading'

What should you do with external drives and other special peripherals when upgrading OSX?

By 'upgrading' I mean changing the operating system via download/install to a newer version. That's to say, installing the upgrade over the top of the existing OSX, leaving all existing user settings and user apps and additional utilities in place. Conversely, I see 'updating' as simply allowing periodic downloads/installs from Apple of modifications to the machine's existing version of OSX and of any built-in apps, in order to deal with bugs and security loopholes.

When updating I presume it's okay to leave any external drives or other special peripherals in place? But what about upgrading? Before performing an upgrade, should one disconnect all external drives, including even a Time Machine drive? Will the new operating system get corrupted from the outset if external drives are still in place at the time of the upgrade?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 3, 2016 2:16 AM

11 replies

May 3, 2016 6:48 AM in response to carefulowner

if the OS that is being updated is not on that drive remove the drive, if nothing else you remove the potential of installing to the wrong drive or demolishing your backup, Mel Tormét MP3 bootleg collection, pictures of Grandma jumping the Grand Canyon in a rocket powered Schwinn in her "wild years", which as happened to a handful of users on these forms, and countless Widows, and Unix forums.

When updating or upgrading my software I remove the devices not involved and make sure my system can reboot with as few external and 3rd party inclusions as possible. Once I establish I can get from power button to finder I start reconnecting things and determine compatibility with those as well.

May 3, 2016 6:58 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Generally speaking you should always upgrade to the latest possible system that you meet the specs for, For updating all except #3 and # 6

Several things you should do before upgrading…

1. If you have issues on your present system don't compound them by installing over them. Solve them first then upgrade.

2 Check HDD for free space. At least 8.8GB of available storage. Preferably much more.

3. Check your applications for compatibility here…http://roaringapps.com/apps

4. Make a bootable clone SuperDuper! or CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.

5. Disconnect all peripherals, including USB hubs.

6. After downloading the installer, it will be in /Applications folder. Copy it and then drag it to another locations like Downloads.

7. Be patient, the download takes a long time and the install may look like it has died at times. Ignore it.

May 3, 2016 8:16 AM in response to macjack

JimmCMPIT and macjack,

Many thanks for your advice. I was already of the growing view that it was more sensible to disconnect external drives and other peripheral kit when doing an OS upgrade, but I just wasn't certain whether it was absolutely necessary. Perhaps another important aspect of it is that, because upgrading is something that we all don't do that often, it's easy to forget to disconnect all such devices when the time comes?

In Stage 6 you state that the installer automatically goes into the Applications folder. Does that only ever happen with OSX upgrades? (On this particular machine, I've not done an upgrade to OSX as yet). I ask because updates (as opposed to upgrades) never seem to temporarily go into the Applications folder, or anywhere else where you can get at them (not that I'd personally want to). Instead, they always seem to bypass any such arrangement. The same happens with apps downloaded from the Apple Apps Store. I find that it's only third-party apps or utilities that obey my setting in Safari and deposit the dmg file on my Desktop, thereby allowing me to preserve a copy of the installer, and thence of the app.

May 3, 2016 9:03 AM in response to macjack

Macjack,

That roaringapps website is very useful indeed, so thanks for telling me about it. (You got the URL slightly wrong, BTW). The listings I found there have helped firm up my suspicions that if I were at present to upgrade to El Capitan I'd lose my two main applications, ones that are essential to my daily work. They were bought only a year or so ago and cost me an awful lot of money. A third and quite crucial app of mine, from Adobe, was purchased from the Apps Store but suddenly stopped working altogether six months later - on the very same edition of OSX! To this day, it fails to even launch. I've felt quite cheated about that one. It seems that, under the premise of incompatibility, Apple have the power to effectively pull the plug on any app at any time.

May 3, 2016 9:06 AM in response to carefulowner

carefulowner wrote:

In Stage 6 you state that the installer automatically goes into the Applications folder. Does that only ever happen with OSX upgrades? (On this particular machine, I've not done an upgrade to OSX as yet). I ask because updates (as opposed to upgrades) never seem to temporarily go into the Applications folder, or anywhere else where you can get at them (not that I'd personally want to).

Yes, OS X updates don't go into /Applications and they are easy to just re-download and apply, if you need them. Upgrades are a different story. They do into your /Applications folder. It's advisable to save them in case you need to do a full system re-install, or if after upgrading to say 10.12 you decide you want to revert. It would be about the only way. Unless you saved the installer or had a clone or TM backup of the previous system.

May 4, 2016 4:24 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

What about device drivers? Do you have to reinstall device drivers when doing an OSX upgrade? For example, for a printer or a scanner?

What basically happens during the upgrade process itself? Does the Installer automatically wipe the existing OSX partition before then applying the new edition of OSX, or is the downloaded software merely installed over the top of the existing OSX, warts and all?

May 4, 2016 6:53 AM in response to carefulowner

You should check the website of the printer or scanner company to make sure they have software that is compatible with the version of OS you are installing. If they don't support the newer version of OS you may need to wait to upgrade or consider a new printer or scanner. If they do support the newer OS you will upgrade and either the printer or scanner continues to work or you may have to download the software for them again either from the manufacture or via updates on the app store. Upgrading just installs the new OS over the old OS warts and all as you say.

May 5, 2016 7:37 AM in response to Community User

On the matter of device drivers still, suppose you find a suitable driver, install it, but then discover it fouls everything up. How do you go about uninstalling that driver? Doubtless, the driver will be split up into many different files that'd be spread around OSX in folders such as Library, Users, etc. In a case like that it'd be inordinately difficult to locate and delete those files individually, so surely instead it'd be best dealt with by going back to the last good state of the whole OSX partition (say, just before you installed the driver)? If that's so, then how exactly would you do that? Would you have to use TM in some special way, or is there a means inside Disk Utility to do it?

May 5, 2016 9:17 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks. That link's very useful. I've printed off a copy of that page, to keep to hand in case I ever get into that situation. Many times I've searched for an article like that on the Apple website but never found one.

It's about Mountain Lion but I suppose the same procedure would apply to Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.

Actually, yesterday I found at Epson's european site an OSX driver for a scanner of mine (hitherto used on a Windows machine). It listed two different kinds of driver, though, and I can't fathom why. I'll have to start a new discussion in these forums and ask if someone can provide an explanation.

Procedural differences between 'updating' and 'upgrading'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.