Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing the format of cells?

I have already formatted cells within numbers but when I try to change the format of a cell it keeps reverting the the previous format. How do I make it stay on the new format?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Numbers

Posted on May 3, 2016 3:34 AM

3 replies

May 3, 2016 3:56 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks for your reply. Yes it does contain formulas. I have done these sorts of calculations on Excell and OpenOfficeCalc and this does not cause any problems. This spreadsheet is calculating hours worked and multiplying them by pay rate to get wages. It needs to do calculations involving duration, pay rates, overtime rates, and produce an answer in dollars. Is there a way of disabling this error so that Numbers will work like other spreadsheets?

May 3, 2016 4:34 PM in response to Murray Peterson

Numbers handles duration/time differently from Excel and other spreadsheets. The Numbers approach can be very convenient, but also can be confusing when you first encounter it. You can use the DUR2HOURS function (and its cousins) to convert a duration to decimal hours that can be formatted as a number and/or used in further calculations. You can learn more about this by going (in your menu) to Formulas and Functions Help and searching for DUR.

If you need more specific help, perhaps you could post a screenshot.

BTW, suggest having a look at the 'Employee Schedule' template in the 'Business' section at File > New in your menu.

SG

changing the format of cells?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.