Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes to External Drive

Hi Folks,

Many years ago (and many versions of OSX and at least one iMac ago) I moved my iTunes onto an external hard drive to free up space on my external drive)

This hasn't been a problem on my current iMac (1Tb - El Captain) untill now, but I finaly need to move iTunes out again...

However I can't remember how I did it last time. I had a very good set of instructions from, (I think) Limnos, but I can't find them now and I would not be confident that nothing had changed in the meantime either.

Therefore, please can anyone help with a simple set of instructions (or link there to) of how to move my iTunes content onto a new external Hard drive?

Many thanks,

David.

Posted on May 3, 2016 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 12:52 PM

Drag the entire iTunes library there, launch iTunes with the Option key held down, and choose it.

(142008)

4 replies

May 3, 2016 12:52 PM in response to Niel

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your simplicity (made me smile) and I take full responsibility for not saying exactly what I meant...

When I said simple, what I meant was "idiot proof", i.e. please don't assume I know what you are talking about.

The basic process of drag it and choose it does sound familiar, but...

Drag which file? from where? (I want to move all the media)

Do I need to create any specific folder on the external drive to drag to?

Choose it from which menu once iTunes has reopened.

Oh, and is the option key the flower or the road junction symbol ? (I never can remember that one)

Many thanks again for the simplicity, would you mind adding in the idiot proofing, for this idiot too please..?!?

Cheers,

David.

iTunes to External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.