Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie - can I use a still picture from video to go with the audio?

I have taken a 2 minute video/audio of a song by our choir. The video is shaky so I would like to use a still picture from the video to use for the entire recording with the audio instead of using the video as shot. Does this make sense and how do I do it?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 3, 2016 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 6:30 AM

Is the skaking too bad for the image stabilizer?

To add a freeze frame see this page: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov772ab4a71

Create a freeze frame in a clip

• In the timeline, move the playhead over the frame in the clip you want to freeze.
  • Choose Modify > Add Freeze Frame.The frame at the playhead position is frozen for 3 seconds, and remains attached to the source clip at either end. The freeze-frame portion of the clip is selected. Handles appear at the edges of the freeze frame, and a hand icon appears in the middle.The freeze-frame portion of the clip contains no audio.

Edit or remove a freeze frame

1. In the timeline, click the hand icon in the middle of the clip you want to edit or remove.The speed controls appear above the viewer.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Adjust the duration of the freeze frame: Enter a number of seconds in the Duration field, or drag either edge of the freeze frame in the timeline.
    • Remove the freeze-frame clip: Choose Modify > Remove Freeze Frame.The freeze-frame clip is removed, and the clip is restored to its original length.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 6:30 AM in response to Bethmidnightbaker

Is the skaking too bad for the image stabilizer?

To add a freeze frame see this page: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov772ab4a71

Create a freeze frame in a clip

• In the timeline, move the playhead over the frame in the clip you want to freeze.
  • Choose Modify > Add Freeze Frame.The frame at the playhead position is frozen for 3 seconds, and remains attached to the source clip at either end. The freeze-frame portion of the clip is selected. Handles appear at the edges of the freeze frame, and a hand icon appears in the middle.The freeze-frame portion of the clip contains no audio.

Edit or remove a freeze frame

1. In the timeline, click the hand icon in the middle of the clip you want to edit or remove.The speed controls appear above the viewer.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Adjust the duration of the freeze frame: Enter a number of seconds in the Duration field, or drag either edge of the freeze frame in the timeline.
    • Remove the freeze-frame clip: Choose Modify > Remove Freeze Frame.The freeze-frame clip is removed, and the clip is restored to its original length.

May 3, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Bethmidnightbaker

To add to Léonie's comment, you can try the following:

1. Detach the audio from the vid clip (Modify/jDetach Audio)

2. Make a still from one of the frames in the vid clip, by placing your playhead at the frame and either Share/Image and re-import the image, or take a screen shot of it from the preview screen and import the screen shot.

3. Set the duration of your imported still to match the duration of the detached audio.

4. Attach the audio to your still and play them together.

You can be a little creative by, say, stringing several stills together from the vid clip and perhaps applying the Ken Burns effect so there is some movement

and interest instead of watching a single still for 2 minutes. That would be your call.

Hope this helps.

imovie - can I use a still picture from video to go with the audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.