Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 9.7 32GB - Actually only 26.5GB...

I've just purchased the iPad Pro 9.7 32GB. Now I'm a little confused....This is the 32GB model yet when I checked my storage, The capacity is only showing 26.5GB with only 22GB available. Does anyone else see a problem with this? Personally I think I'm being sold up the river...does the operating system really require 5.5GB?

If so why is it marketed as 32GB when you as a user don't get the benefit of the majority of the hard drive. I fully understand that a device with the capability of this nature requires a lot of memory but I feel slightly short changed.

I've been using iPads since day one but never noticed such a massive loss of space. Are with being stitched up?

User uploaded file

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 3, 2016 5:48 AM

3 replies

May 3, 2016 5:52 AM in response to Videobloke

Videobloke wrote:

I've just purchased the iPad Pro 9.7 32GB. Now I'm a little confused....This is the 32GB model yet when I checked my storage, The capacity is only showing 26.5GB

This is completely normal. The OS and the preinstalled apps take up the rest of the space.

with only 22GB available. Does anyone else see a problem with this? Personally I think I'm being sold up the river...does the operating system really require 5.5GB?

Check Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Storage>Manage Storage. See if you can account for the 3GB that you don't see in the "About" screen.

May 3, 2016 6:06 AM in response to Videobloke

As Demo explained the iOS and installed apps take up space. Also there is a difference between the way computer scientists who use a base 2 numbering system and everyone else who uses a base 10 numbering system count the available space. In base two the total capacity is 32GB but in base 10 the total comes to 26.5 GB.

The details are explained in the linked article. The title mentions a windows hard drive but it's the same for all hard drives and Solid State Drives like those on iOS devices.

http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

iPad Pro 9.7 32GB - Actually only 26.5GB...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.